Tony Nicklinson Again

February 12, 2011

Suffering from locked-in syndrome, Tony Nicklinson is paralysed from the neck down and only able to communicate through eye movements.

He wants to die, but is physically unable to commit suicide and is campaigning for a change in the law so that his wife can end his life without being charged with his murder.

Victoria Derbyshire reports.

1. Valerie Barnes permalink
    February 13, 2011 1:32 pm

I have just watched your moving, humbling and thought provoking interview with Tony and his lovely devoted wife. To say it made me cry is an understatement. I have told just about everyone I know to watch it and to stop bemoaning their lot.

More importantly is there anything anyone can do to get this campaign moving to resolve this torture they are all suffering? Can I do something, sign something. tony is absolutwely right why is it alright to be coerced in to staying alive against your wishes and not the other way round.

Frankly if she had to do it without the backing of a law I do not think any court in the land with a jury would find her guilty of murder – they want stringing up if they did – but of course I understand she cannot take that chance as a mother.

I wish them every success with their campaign and a swift and dignified end to thier enormous suffering.

• Timothy permalink
      September 4, 2011 7:14 am

It is not a matter of taking a chance, there are many options open to Tony and his devoted wife, they are just not willing to take them, they would rather be involved with a campaigne to change the law then get what they claim they want and that is for Tony to die.

Tony appears a bright switched on type of person and I am sure he could come up with a way to committ suicide without implicating his wife. He obviously does not want to, and it appeard from some of the answeres that his wife was not claiming he wanted to right now, maybe some time in the future. I am sure if he really wants he will get on the plane to switzerland, catch a cold causing pneumonia and refuse to take the antibiotic, drive an eye blink wheel chair into a river, set up and insist on using a mchine to feed himself and have one of the food sources as vodka and drink a whole bottle of it at one time, the list goes on and on and on, they are all available but I think he is more interested in having a legal fight than actually committing suicide.

2. Amanda Christie permalink
    February 17, 2011 2:47 pm

I am a tetraplegic with no movement from the shoulders down. This was caused by an RTA in 2006. I live at home with around the clock carers. I do not have Locked-in-syndrome but am one step up from that. I fully understand the horrendous situation Tony Nicklinson is in and before my accident I felt very strongly about the right to be able to choose yourself to live or die when left in such an extreme situation.

I would be very keen to meet Tony Nicklinson as I live not far away and I am now in a position in my own rehabilitation to involve myself in trying to change the current law which is inhibiting people like Mr Tony Nicklinson.

Would it be possible for you to forward his contact details if he and his wife would appreciate my input?

Yours faithfully,
    Amanda Christie

• Timothy permalink
      September 4, 2011 7:01 am

Having just listerned to an interview on the BBC Hardtalk with Tony and his wife, I want to make some observations. It appears that Tony does have options to be able to end his life now if he wants but he is refusing to take them. When posed with the question why he simply go to Switzerland where he would be assisted in the process a response along the lines, he wants to committ suicide at home with his family around him was offered. He has the right and the ability to committ suicide but he wants someone else to pull the trigger so to speak. He wants society to change so that he can die in exactly the manner he determines, in exactly the place he determines.

There are I am sure other methods that could be divised for him to committ suicide, for example a wheel chair that can be computer operated through eye blinking, where if he chose he could drive himself off the end of a bridge, of a cliff or into the ocean or a pond, whenever he liked. There must be other ways with computer technology and automation and I am sure he could come up with them if he really wanted.

When I listen to the story, while feeling sympathy and understand how one would not want to live, I do not feel sympathy that he wants changes in the law so that he does not have to pull the trigger so to speak, that he can have someone else do it where he wants, with whom present he wants, at the time he wants.

If life was really so bad for him and he wanted to committ suicide so much then he would manage to do it. It appears however he is not in such bad spirits that he will do whatever it takes, and therefore it should be questioned why should a society change the rules and open up many concerns for the protection of other people if this guy is not willing to do what it takes? The answere is that Tony probably does not really want to commit suicide.

No need for a law change Tony!

3. samedifference1 permalink*
    February 17, 2011 3:23 pm

Hello Amanda,

I’m afraid I don’t have contact details for Tony Nicklinson. Can anyone else help?

Thank you for your comments and best wishes

Samedifference1

4. Ragna permalink
    September 9, 2011 11:58 am

I’m wondering if Tony is able to read and watch TV? His mind is active and he can communicate using a computer. I wonder if there is still hope for him in doing something new? He won’t be the same person again but those around him are coming across as giving up on him. Look at Stephen Hawking. He’s paralysed, in a wheelchair and he can’t speak but he’s managed to become one of the greatest scientists today. I’m not certain if all paralysed people can copy Stephen’s example but why assume there’s no more for Tony to do? The people closest to him should help him through this change and explore other possibilities, instead of seeing him as a burden.

1. Tony Nicklinson Revisited « Same Difference