Skip to content

Hospital Ward Evacuated Over Wheelchair Fumes

January 4, 2012

A hospital ward was evacuated after staff became concerned about fumes coming from an electric wheelchair brought in by a patient.

Firefighters were called to Western Isles Hospital in Stornoway and took the chair outside.

Twenty-nine people were moved from the ward to another part of the hospital during Tuesday morning’s incident.

NHS Western Isles said a fire did not break out but staff were concerned enough to activate a fire alarm.

Highlands and Islands Fire and Rescue Service said it was called to the hospital at 10:52.

A health board spokeswoman said: “Although no fire had broken out, there was an issue with a patient’s own electric wheelchair, which they had brought to the hospital and which was emitting fumes.

“Staff were initially unable to identify where the fumes were coming from and therefore activated the alarm to summon the fire brigade.”

No comments yet

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: