Residential ‘Camps’ For Disabled People To Train For Jobs

August 1, 2013

I’ve just heard about this Government panel report, published in July. It looks at the possibility of Residential training provision for disabled people who are unemployed and looking for work.

Apparently the Government plans to set up these ‘camps’ from September 2014 if the review is successful.

Now, the idea of sending several of ‘us lot’ off to one place to learn how to get ourselves a job when there is no need to segregate us in this way sounds more than a little like something the Nazis would have loved.

Readers, special schools are a choice every parent and disabled child should have. Remploy factories were a choice for segregated paid employment- they should still be here, but, surprise, surprise, they’re too expensive.

Residential care homes are a choice that should be available to severely disabled people when their parent carers are no longer physically able to care for them. Day care centres provide opportunities for disabled people to do suitable activities while socialising with other disabled people- a choice that they and their parents should have open to them.

But readers, residential employment training is one step too far for me.

The report says that being away from a home setting while learning skills to find employment would be a good thing as home circumstances may be stressful or parents may be over-protective.

However, disabled people who live at home need a very high level of support with personal care. Personally, I would not be comfortable with anyone but my parents providing this personal care for as long as my parents live and are physically able to do so. I’m sure most of my friends, and many other disabled people, would agree.

Don’t non-disabled young people have stressful home environments too? Don’t they have over-protective parents? Yet where do they do their job skills training? Down the Job Centre for a few hours a week.

There are many reasons why disabled people don’t work. But these reasons have nothing to do with the fact that we haven’t previously had access to residential training. They have more to do with the difficulty of finding employers willing to make reasonable adjustments for us so that we can have our disability-related needs met in the workplace.

Or, surprise, surprise, the fact that we are simply too affected by our illness or disability to consider working.

Personally, I hope that when we come out of these ‘camps’ we’re going to have suitable skills to work in a mainstream workplace, should any non-disabled employer be so kind as to want to give one of ‘us lot’ a job.

So why do we need to be segregated to be trained? We can understand the tips given at the Job Centre, you know. And if we do need those explained to us in simpler language, if we need them signed to us or written in Braille, why can’t the Job Centre provide these services? Are we really that much of a disruption to others who are able to work at a ‘normal’ pace?

Too expensive, I hear you say? Well, are these ‘camps’ going to be any cheaper?

Put aside our discomfort at having strangers providing personal care for just a minute. Has the Government panel considered the cost of providing overnight carers? Many parent carers, husbands/wives or partners willingly provide care to disabled adults for free. Why not keep Remploy factories, and the choice to work at them, open using the money that would be spent on overnight carers at these ‘camps?’

The report recognises the importance of the “peer support” that can come from being with other disabled people. So we wouldn’t stand out at these ‘camps.’ Not standing out is truly very important. Not standing out can truly help a person’s self-confidence and self-esteem. Disabled people who use any such camps might make friends for life. And friends with whom you share something so important in common are truly valuable. I am the  first to recognise this important fact.

However, as well as not standing out, we would all feel unwanted by mainstream society at these ‘camps.’ We would, I can well imagine, share the emotions of orphans living in orphanages or of adults living in refugee camps, or of all those millions, most of whom so tragically lost their lives, in concentration camps.

Generations of disabled people already felt unwanted by their parents and mainstream society when they were sent to institutions. Later generations already felt unwanted by teachers when they were sent to special schools, before the choice to go to mainstream schools was opened to us and our parents.

We already know that non-disabled people don’t want to employ us in their workplaces because we look too different/are always ill/need too much help/are too expensive.

Now they tell us we have to be locked away from our families and from mainstream society at yet another stage in our lives because they don’t want to train us to work either? It’s the straw that broke the wheelchair’s seat.

And as for this sentence: “In the vast majority of cases, the type and severity of a person’s impairment/health condition has little bearing on their ability to secure and sustain employment,” which translates as “Most people can work and hold down a job quite well no matter what their disability is or how severely it affects them,” all I can say is: ‘Are they having a laugh?’

1. August 1, 2013 4:18 pm

Reblogged this on nearlydead.

2. August 1, 2013 4:53 pm

as i have already said this government will not stop in their quest to make the sick and disabled pay for their crime of being sick and disabled

where will it all stop ? only when were all dead and buried and until that day comes we will be hounded if not by the press or the government until we succumb to our death on a daily basis and it’s as simple as that

3. Andrea permalink
    August 1, 2013 11:50 pm

The biggest thing about my disability is that I cannot cope with stress, I have anxiety when in new situations, in new places and with new people. I know lots of other disabled people are the same. How does taking me out of my safe environment and adding all these new stresses help my illness or recovery? If anything it is going to set back my illness and make it many more months before I can contemplate returning to the workplace. It has taken me over five years to get this well and the government want to make me Ill again in a matter of days. Just the thought of this camp makes me ill.

4. August 1, 2013 11:53 pm

卐 here we go again.

5. August 2, 2013 12:28 pm

“The Houses of Parliament” in London, England.

Let’s have a little quiz:
    1. Who meets there?
    2. What do they do there?
    3. Do they help you in any way?

If your answers were:

1. “Members of the government”
    2. “They represent all the people living in the country” and
    3. “Yes, they create laws to protect me and my family”

Then let me congratulate you on getting every one of the answers wrong.

Didn’t do too well on that quiz? OK, let’s have another go:

6. Truth Seeker permalink
    August 2, 2013 12:33 pm

All I can say is here here….you are absolutely right.
    This is crazy!!!

7. scrapchallenge permalink
    August 2, 2013 4:46 pm

so the work camps arrive at last. I wonder if the showers will be communual, and where the gas nozzles will be hidden in them. “oops, your loved one had an ‘industrial accident’ at work camp, never mind eh? we are all better off without those useless eaters aren’t we?”

8. August 4, 2013 1:12 am

ficken nazis,all mps are shitheads

9. August 4, 2013 2:59 pm

my vision sees activity centers near all throw to points in the nation built with ongoing reapplication of materials now problems in disposal for exciting ongoing adventures in creativity with youngsters inspired and motivated by volunteer mentors adept at art,innovation and invention to build “Earth Ship” style residential studio workshops embracing The Arts in all its forms for Campuses made popular by word of mouth to birth mini universities to overcome and identify talents now smothered by process of one size fits all curriculum and took much desk bondage theory in stuffy class rooms and not enough harnessing of latent community skills thinking outside the square of excessive travel of students,goods and services from distant outposts daily as logistics and health and safety issue. I attempted to birth above but was dismissed by Quangos and their accessories although my embryo “Artip” concept as Artist in Residence had received Federal and State Government acclaim in Assessment Reports as Community Builder.

1. UK Government to force the disabled into work - Global News Platform - Global News Platform
  2. Residential Work ‘Camps’ For Disabled People – With The Able-Bodied Also In Their Sights | Conspiracy This Week | What Team Are You On?
  3. Residential Work ‘Camps’ For Disabled People – With The Able-Bodied Also In Their Sights | Street Democracy - where it should reach
  4. The Experience Of A Mother Whose Son Went To A Disability Employment Training ‘Camp’ | Same Difference