Skip to content

#BedroomTax Of £14 Robs OAP Of Last Wish- To Die At Home

November 14, 2013

Readers, we must do something. Can we fundraise? Who do we petition?

A sick pensioner will be robbed of her last wish – to die at home – so the ­Government can claw back £14 a week in Bedroom Tax.

Mary Bennett, 82, has less than a year to live, but must leave her three-bedroom home because she cannot afford to pay the hated charge.

Mrs Bennett is only hit by the tax because her son is her live-in carer, so she cannot claim OAP exemption.

Alan Clark, 47, who gave up his hotel manager job to look after her, blasted: “How dare they take away a dying woman’s wish for the sake of £14 a week. It is a travesty.”

The widow from Runcorn, Cheshire, has a worsening cardiac condition and dementia.

Alan said: “A care home would cost £25,000 a year. She has lived in this house more than 20 years and £10,000 has been spent on ­disability adaptions.”

He has found a smaller rented house in Wales where his sister lives, but fears the upheaval could unsettle his ill mother.

A discretionary grant from Halton Council has covered the shortfall since they fell into arrears, but Alan says they will have to move when it expires in March.

A council spokesman said: ­“Discretionary housing payment cannot exceed March 31 in any given financial year as the council receives annual fund allocation from ­Government.

“Until this grant is known any awards cannot be made into the next financial year.”

8 Comments leave one →
  1. November 14, 2013 4:40 pm

    I don’t understand this. OAP’s are exempted. Where does it say in the regulations that a non-pensionr carer overides that exemption?

  2. November 14, 2013 4:52 pm

    common sense should prevail but then who in government has any off it costing more to put her in a homes unbeleavible

  3. vanessa permalink
    November 14, 2013 4:57 pm

    this is so stupid i know at least 2 pensioners living in 4 bedroom houses on their own she should be exempt whether or not her son’s living there to look after her about time this government got it prioirties right and stop giving aid to other countries when people in this country need help and stop all the benefits for the immigrants that come into this country just for what they can get free here ( they send half the benefits back home )

  4. November 14, 2013 5:01 pm

    My 73 year old mother has my brother living with her and she is still exempt, although he doesn’t claim as her carer, but i can’t see why that would make any difference.

  5. November 14, 2013 7:29 pm

    I don’t understand what the problem is. She has DHP to pay for the bedroom tax for the next 4 months or so until March 31st next year. She will then be able to put in a claim for DHP from that date and as she received it this year, she will probably receive it next year.

    • November 14, 2013 11:59 pm

      Oaps are excempt therefore DHP is not awarded to an 83year old pensionner

  6. Ann permalink
    November 14, 2013 10:15 pm

    Shouldn’t apply… if carer son is caring – according to Halton Council’s web site he should not be considered to be living there to cause Council Tax to be charged for him If he is claiming Carer’s Allowance he should not be counted as someone living in the house for the Halton Council to charge Council Tax in his regard. If he cares for 35 hours or more a week and isn’t earning more than £100 a week then he should claim Carer’s Allowance (there are other conditions to receipt), as long as his mum has Attendance Allowance benefit, AND he may be able to top up his Carers’ Allowance with Income Support . I don’t work for gvt! They can ring DWP and ask for a home visit for a full benefit check and once they have had advice should then ask the Council to review the Council Tax rules charge on the property. This lady may be entitled to Pension Credit benefit possibly even with son living there too, most important Pension Credit legislation does in some circumstances override council tax rules so always worth getting DWP full benefit check: then Council!. Also the Council should deduct 25% from the Council Tax if her GP agrees the dementia means she could be considered having a severe mental impairment, before assessing for any further reductions based on means testing… Disabilty Rights UK and Alzheimer’s Society great sites to check out.


  1. One third of disabled people asking for help with ‘bedroom tax’ have applications rejected « Derby People's Assembly

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: