Skip to content

WCAs ‘Set To Be Scrapped’

April 7, 2014

I can’t believe my eyes either, readers.

DEMEANING interviews designed to force sick and disabled people back to work are set to be scrapped after experts branded them a waste of time.

The unpopular face-to-face interviews will be sidelined in a shake-up of the Government’s ­controversial work capability assessment.

The move aims to streamline the application process, address a huge backlog of claims, reduce the number of appeals and cut taxpayers’ costs.

If the plan goes ahead, the system would mean less input from companies such as Atos, who last month pulled out of a £500million contract to carry out WCA tests. The new system would give a bigger role to civil servants who will gather written evidence from applicants and their doctors.

The plan follows recommendations made by Dr Paul Litchfield, chief medical officer at BT, who was asked by the Government to review the WCA process.

In his 100-page report, he blamed the face-to-face tests for delays in processing claims. The Department for Work and Pensions, said: “Expediting the process will reduce the uncertainty faced by claimants, improve outcomes for those not eligible for employment and support allowance and reduce the consequent burden on taxpayers.”

Four out of five applicants currently have to attend interviews in which they are asked intimate details in order to assess if they are fit to work.

Labour MP Tom Greatrex, a fierce critic of Atos, said he still has reservations about any new scheme.

He added: “The WCA process hasn’t worked for years and the Government have failed to address it.

“The experience is demeaning, causes anxiety and 40 per cent of the tests are overturned on appeal which demonstrates it’s not fair or accurate.”

7 Comments leave one →
  1. April 7, 2014 7:41 pm

    Unfortunately there is a big “IF” in this. “IF the plan goes ahead,…” This is an attention grabbing headline but (as of yet) not much else.
    This is the result of the 4th review publication (only one undertaken by Dr. Paul Litchfield).
    We all know what happened after Harrington’s first 3. Yep, sweet F-all.

    • Iain Dun-cam Smile permalink
      April 7, 2014 10:22 pm

      appeal will also be stopped, just an automatic #ATOSKILLS 60,000 DEAD policy

      Remember when, (sorry to any Jewish), the Nazis couldn’t KILL them quick enough the build the oven’s

  2. April 7, 2014 7:45 pm

    Labour MP Tom Greatrex, a fierce critic of Atos, said he still has reservations about any new scheme.

    AND SO DO I

  3. April 7, 2014 7:50 pm

    well you can be sure they are not going to be any easier on the vulnerable must be something even worse in the pipeline

  4. jefffrey davies permalink
    April 7, 2014 7:57 pm

    more deaths at some one elses company but medical evidence was given at atos by many and brushed aside now are they talking of listening to patients doctors after all those billions lost

  5. Barry Davies permalink
    April 7, 2014 8:16 pm

    I’ll believe it when I see it.

  6. Darren Skippings permalink
    April 8, 2014 7:27 pm

    so the experiment has failed what a surprise that isn’t, now it returns to what we had in the first place, different name same rubbish

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: