UKIP’s Magnus Nielsen Says ‘Removing Vote From Certain Groups Would Increase Its Value’

May 13, 2014

As a Muslim woman, I already have more than enough reasons to strongly dislike this man.

It has not been revealed in the article below whether he wants the vote stripped from disabled people. I would be very interested to find this out. However, readers, I wouldn’t be surprised if his list of ‘certain groups’ does include us, would you?

The decision to extend the vote to middle class people and women in the nineteenth century was a mistake which should be reversed, a Ukip candidate has suggested.

Magnus Nielsen, who is standing for the party in West Hampstead said the UK should start reducing the number of people entitled to vote.

“I sometimes think the people who fought for the vote in 1832 and 1888 and so forth, trying to extend the franchise were probably doing the wrong thing,” he told an election hustings in West Hampstead.

“I think perhaps we should start reducing the franchise.”

The 1832 Reform Act extended the vote beyond the aristocracy in England and Wales, while the 1888 County Councils act extended the right to vote in local elections to female ratepayers.

Nielsen suggested that removing the vote from certain groups including criminals would increase its value.

“Generally speaking when you start taking things away, or threatening to take things away, people start clamouring and say they really want it.”

Nielsen hit the headlines recently after posting a series of Islamophobic comments on his Facebook profile.

He claimed that Islam was “organised crime” and Muhammad it’s “gang leader”.

He also agreed to speak at a number of EDL rallies whilst standing to become an MP in the 2010 general election, after reportedly stating that Muhammad was a “criminal psychopath” and “psychiatrically deranged.”

A Ukip spokesperson said last month that they would investigate Nielsen’s comments about Islam. However, it is not clear what, if any, action has been taken against him.

1. May 13, 2014 3:49 pm

2. May 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Is there a link to the source for this? I do believe you but need to show it to ukippers who will ask for evidence if I try and tell them.

3. May 13, 2014 4:01 pm

sorry just seen it. 🙂

4. alan permalink
    May 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Why bring religion into this? No one truly wants Islam, only Islamists. The article is totally flawed, which shows that the writer has no understanding of things, only the reading of history, and very shallow and selective at that.

For years there has been an ever increasing no vote cast by the general public of no confidence in parliament, this vote being with the feet, a vote of abstention, which is the loudest voice that the government continues to hear, and does not like, as it is an affront to parliament, parliament is too proud and bent, corrupt and debauched, to accept that people do not see it as anything but a good, honest institution, though with flaws.

In 1910 two elections had to take place because a hung parliament occured by the first voting. In order to punish the British people Winston Churchill, Lloyd Jones, and another, codified, and had passed, the 1911 Parliamentary Act, which states that the parliament is to be recognised as an autocracy, not a democracy.

Voting was only ever grudginly given because parliamentarians feared that parliament would be overthrown by the people. Voting was not, and never has been, democratic, because it cmes from an autocratic government that does not allow freedom to vote. Hence, no box to put an X in for a parliament of all parties.

5. May 13, 2014 4:38 pm

This person was talking at a hustings in West Hampstead, which is where I LIVE!! OK, why wasn’t I at the hustings to oppose him? Because I’d gone to a Members’ Evening at the V&A – if I’d realised, I’d have given the hustings priority.

6. John Hargrave permalink
    May 13, 2014 6:32 pm

It is quite likely anything this man says will be swept under the carpet by UKIP. I dread to think what this shower would do if they were elected to power in this country. For the past few months we have been listening to UKIP bile and I think we should hold them to account. I suspect a UKIP Government would pick on the poor, the disabled and older people before deciding only the ‘Upper Crust’ can have a vote. What a nightmare if they were in Westminster.

7. May 13, 2014 6:40 pm

Reblogged this on vicmart009 and commented:
    Squaring the Circle
    First they came for the Disabled, I did not speak out – because I was not Disabled .
    Then they came for the Socialists , I did not speak out — because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Muslims , I did not speak out — because I was not a Muslim.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out– Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out– Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for unemployed Welsh , I did not speak out – because I am not unemployed or Welsh .
    Then they came for me–and there was no one left to speak for me.
    Copyright VM Hunt 2014.

8. david permalink
    May 13, 2014 7:17 pm

approx. 320 witnesses myself included plus rapturous applause from the 10 other UKIP councillors (the rest of us were trying hard to stifle our laughter) http://www.kilburnherald.com/2014/05/ukip-candidate-suggests-reducing.html
    audio recordings here http://richardosley.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/ukips-magnus-people-who-fought-to-extend-the-vote-were-probably-doing-the-wrong-thing/
    There were other choices there Jane (Lib/Lab/Cons/Greens and allegedly TUSC. Unfortunately the youtube video upload failed so cant provide video proof but the organiser is trying to sort out full audio upload and they plan to write the whole thing up on http://westhampsteadlife.com . \please make an effort to vote each non UKIP vote…..

1. UKIP: The First 100 Days | Same Difference