Not Dead Yet UK’s Petition Against Law Change

May 22, 2014

Readers, this is a rather difficult post for me to write. I know that it is going to generate a lot of debate.

Regular readers will know that I never have supported, and never will support, assisted dying. I personally have always believed that disabled people deserve assistance to live, not to die.

However, I have also always known that this is a view that many people, disabled or otherwise, do not and will not share.

My personal views on this issue are the reason that I signed this petition against a law change on assisted dying.

I am not sharing this petition in any attempt to pressure you to change your personal views on this issue. If, however, you share my personal views, please consider signing it.

If you do not share my personal views, please use this thread as a place to share your personal views with us.

However, readers, please keep comments polite and respectful. We all know this issue generates strong debate and emotion on both sides.  Please make this a thread in which you read both sides and agree to disagree with whichever view you do not share.

1. Rachel permalink
    May 22, 2014 1:11 am

I would like to be given the right to make my own choice. I don’t have an overriding desire to be kept alive as my body disintegrates, I’ve told my family that on no account should they agree to my being resuscitated or placed on life support. Having said that I also worry that it could be used by those less scrupulous to bully vulnerable people in to an action they would not otherwise consider.

• Renee permalink
      August 5, 2014 10:26 am

It’s ethical and already legal to respect ‘do-not-resuscitate’ orders and refuse or switch off life support. These things allow a person to die naturally of their medical condition. These are not “assisted dying”. ‘Assisted Dying’ is the deliberate killing of a person, so this person does not die naturally from a medical condition, but from a lethal drug.

2. May 22, 2014 1:54 am

I think I understand Rachel’s point of view as well as yours Same Difference. However the importance of my own personal decision on this issue has nothing to do with either of you nor indeed that of any UK Government. Do you understand me now ?

3. jeffrey davies permalink
    May 22, 2014 6:57 am

I sorry im against any taking of life has we leaving the door open for it to be abused by others sifned jeff3

4. May 22, 2014 10:17 am

5. giolla permalink
    May 26, 2014 4:55 pm

the simple mistake Methusalada makes is – ‘I want this so you will all have to have it too’. It is the commonest mistake in this usually very low-level debate – so how about this? To do what you want you don’t need a law, but do YOU understand what happens when a law is introduced to allow doctors to kill?…

• May 26, 2014 7:12 pm

The simple mistake that giolla makes is (a) misquote what a person says & (b) misinterpret the context of the proposed debate that Simple Difference has made. (c) As a disabled person with many disabled friends (past & present ) the end of life debate is not a low-level debate. It is for some probably the only real & important decision they are able to make . Personally I value my life & the lives of others as a precious gift . I love life & have no desire or intention to end it . When & if the time comes for myself to think or believe otherwise, then it is my own personal choice as it is for any other human being.

6. Felicity permalink
    July 15, 2014 2:14 am

We are all allowed by law to kill ourselves. And we all can. Ironically, Tony Nicklinson proved this within days of losing his court case to legalise assisted suicide.

This is NOT about a “right to die”. It is about a right to be killed. That’s dangerous in itself. Plus, no one is campaigning for able-bodied people to have a right to physician assisted suicide (PAS). Any able-bodied person who is suicidal is deemed to be of unsound mind. So, how can disabled people can be seen as sane but suicidal? Pure disablism!

Able-bodied & formerly able-bodied people who want to allow PAS for severely disabled people are motivated by their fear of disability & dependence. They are saying, “It would be better to be dead than like you.” If people were saying that about any other minority group, they’d be locked up for incitement to kill!

7. July 15, 2014 3:18 am

All the contributions mad on this one blog are made by people who have the capacity & ability to make their opinion known on this very controversial issue . There are thousands who are unable to make such a contribution ,choice or decision for themselves. We as free human beings have a duty that we MUST protect those who cannot protect themselves and others they wish to harm. Such matters are in my opinion issues that can & should be discussed openly on any media available to the public. I have made my own views known on this matter. The owner of this blog has a totally different opinion to mine on this issue.
    What the really big issue are , is that we have a totally corrupt Parliamentary system attempting to make this a divisive issue as the law of the land.

At the risk of repeating myself again ” The decision on the date & time of my death is my own personal decision Nobody knows when that shall be, not even myself. I just hope that SHOULD I need to face such a moment, I have the strength courage and support to go forward to complete it peacefully & quietly “

8. May 14, 2015 11:00 am

I now discovered that the correct term is “sun-washed”;
    as if your wearer with this beret has been using it for most months within the blistering sun about the Argentinean campo ABD other allies, he
    said, might be simple racial bias among dealers or even an assumption among dealers that
    blacks is going to be unlikely than whites to balk at higher credit prices.