Peter Duut’s Mother In Law Speaks Out About Her Daughter’s Current Situation

September 9, 2014

Same Difference has been in touch with the mother-in-law of Mr Peter Duut, who has asked for the following to be published exclusively, and shared with those who might remember his quite high-profile case.

I am the mother of Mrs Laurel Joanna Duut, the widow of Peter Duut, who died tragically in October 2011, after financially supporting my disabled daughter for years preciously in Holland, and also in the UK after all of her benefits ceased in 2002 after she had cared for her terminally ill father – we have never been given any reason as to why her benefits had ceased.

In the months before his death, Peter was denied benefits even though he had worked very hard in the Netherlands and the UK paying tax and National insurance in both countries. He was refused benefits and advised that he had no right to reside in the UK. As a member of Iain Duncan Smith’s constituency, I visited the said gentleman in his surgery in North Chingford, for support and help for my daughter and her husband. He told me he could do nothing to assist them. With insufficient money to live on, Peter Duut and Laurel starved. Peter suffered more than Laurel as he was a very tall man and needed more food to sustain him than Laurel did. Laurel nursed Peter until the end and had to leave the law course she was studying at Cambridge to do so. When Peter finally passed away, he knew that he was not respected for all he had worked for in the UK, and that no authorities cared about him. Peter said that he had died stateless. Peter even went to the local newspaper himself about this as he was so distraught.

Laurel was too young to receive a widow’s benefit and so no funeral could be arranged until Laurel was able to scrape together some money for the purpose. After he died, Peter was sent two weeks ESA benefit. So that helped to bury him, leaving Laurel in much debt. There is still no headstone on his grave.

Since Peter’s death, life has been a nightmare for Laurel. She no longer had the support of Peter and struggled alone. But she did have a fight to keep the house and to eventually receive some benefits herself , although not enough to enable her to pay the bedroom tax and eat properly nor heat her property. A couple of years ago she learnt that she was eligible to receive the British DLA benefit for 2007 that she applied for while living in Holland after an ECJ ruling made in 2007, but Iain Duncan Smith has refused to allow this to be awarded to her, even though it was agreed on in Court. Instead she is awaiting a Supreme Court hearing on another case.

My daughter’s husband Peter had worked all his life and as a Dutch citizen had contributed to Insurance to support him and his wife if necessary. So the Dutch Government have been studying his case and Laurel received a communication from them a few days ago, announcing that as she was his wife and is more than 45% disabled, she is eligible for a Dutch Survivor’s benefit, which will be backdated to the time of Peter’s death in 2011 and continue from now. She has not received anything of this as yet. As she is responsible, Laurel has sought legal advice and has also informed the DWP.

Their reaction has been to tell her that she will very likely have to hand over all of the insurance money to them and that all her benefits (ESA, Housing, Council tax etc ) have now been stopped altogether until the DWP make a decision on her case. When she asked for this to be looked into, she was told that the very earliest she would hear anything would be 22nd September. So now we are back again to her receiving no benefits , so unable to buy food or pay the bills and possibly becoming homeless.

I personally am disgusted at the way my daughter has been treated through the years. In 2002 she suddenly , for no reason, had all her benefits stopped, even her child allowance, even though I visited the Benefits Office with her, nothing was changed. She had to leave her home in the UK as Peter could only find employment at that time in haste in the Netherlands, for a few years, staying in a derelict property until she was able to return back to the UK with Peter to their family.

Ms Anita Lincoln

1. jeffrey davies permalink
    September 9, 2014 7:06 pm

yet he gets away with it our rtu ids shamefully denying benefits excuses hes plenty of but people dying has of their policys is just like that party in germany in the 30 who ruled and took peopls lives away yet how can they deny but stories like this are daily and in this day and age shouldnt be happening sadly they are and tories are taking the poor further into dispair has of their policy yet there are many other mps who allow this to happen yet on it goes day in day out when will sanity be returned has their greed kills others jeff3

2. September 9, 2014 8:16 pm

That is just so disgusting of both the UK and Dutch governments. I’m crying as I type this. I’m so upset. Both Labour and Tory have let them down as this goes back to 2002. I’ve lost all faith in all of the UK parties.

3. September 9, 2014 8:50 pm

Reblogged this on Politics and Insights – kittysjones and commented:
    This is how vulnerable people are treated here in the UK.

4. September 9, 2014 9:48 pm

Reblogged this on Britain Isn't Eating and commented:
    This is a truly appalling story.
    Again IDS (I DontgiveaShit) thinks he is above the law, and is denying this poor lady the benefits she has been awarded by a court of law.
    Furthermore, he is even threatening to take away her widows pension which has been awarded to her by the government of the Netherlands!
    Who the fck does this man think he is?
    Megalomaniacal dictator springs to mind.
    People reading these blogs and stories like this one must get them into the public domain and keep them current news, we must not allow these Tory bastards another 5 years with yet 4 x as many cuts still to come.

5. September 9, 2014 10:26 pm

Reblogged this on Diary of an SAH Stroke Survivor and commented:
    Absolutely disgusting you would not treat an animal like this this nation is fecked

6. jim strang (welfare rights consultant) permalink
    September 10, 2014 12:54 am

this is clearly a terrible situation that this poor lady has been in and still is. it would seem to me that she has not sought advice and if so has received very poor or wrong advice from someone. this i do not think is a complicated case and any welfare rights advisor should have dealt with this as a matter of course.

7. Maria permalink
    September 10, 2014 10:50 am

I thought if you worked at least you could be sure you got benefits and your even denied them anyway. Its not right, that if you should need help you should get it, and it doesn’t matter really if you have contributed or simply couldn’t have ever had the opportunity to do so whatever your circumstances. That money belongs to the public to help the public in need and it does not belong to the government to do whatever they like with it, it is theft and benefit fraud in its own right. What a complete and utter rotter, inhuman monster that man really is.

8. jaypot2012 permalink
    September 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Reblogged this on Jay's Journal and commented:
    I have no words 😦

9. LJDuut permalink
    September 11, 2014 1:12 pm

May I add- my husband and I sat for an entire day at the CAB office where we live when he lost his job in 2011. We were told that CAB could not help us as they do not deal with EU citizens as Peter was a Dutch National. I sought help from my MP and my mother met with Iain Duncan Smith as I was born in Chingford therefore my mother is in his constituency.

My mother was told in 2011 that no help was available from said gentleman as he can only help members of his own constituency. Therefore neither the CAB, my MP nor Iain Duncan Smith could help us at all.

Therefore it is not an easy situation to sort out especially when you have no finances.

As the situation stands I await a letter of confirmation from the DWP relating to the ceasing of my ESA and that is needed for the Housing benefit department and Council tax department. Even though I have been told that I am not able to spend any monies I receive on 15 September from the Dutch government – which is actually a survivor’s benefit for disabled survivors who the Dutch government deem to be over 45% disabled.

What shocks me most about this situation is that no matter how many letters I wrote which are many bundles the case is this.

My husband was denied all benefits when he lost employment in 2011 March to be precise – that is when we sought help to no avail. Yet- years later when the Dutch authorities decide to award me a disabled survivors benefit the UK government have told me on the phone that they want this money back to pay for ESA payments they paid me after allowing me my -right to reside – in my own country of residence where I had lived and was born and raised my children- where my benefits were stopped for no reason given in 2002 leaving us no choice but to leave our home to allow Peter to work in the Netherlands as it was the only place that Peter could find employment.

Thank you for your support – yes it is tough and I am still grieving very much. Yet I have discussed this with Peter and was also raised by a very amazing father, who also loved Peter very much and who taught me to never bow to bullies and always speak truth also always get up whenever you can and never ever give up. I shall keep that promise.

LJ Duut

• Simpson Carey permalink
      September 28, 2019 2:31 pm

what a load of crap, my daughter use to tal to Peter every day, whilst you were upstairs with a 19 year old student laughing, he would put his phone so I could hear, when he was gravely ill,she would tell me, you treated him like you were the ill one and he would do the shopping in tesco, and use the credit card, Ive never heard such a load of over rated B.S You didnt look ill in your posing pics almost naked with a white dog with diamond collar on lol, my daughter showed me the website that you and Peter once had

1. Peter Duut's Mother In Law Speaks Out About Her Daughter's Current Situation
  2. Peter Duut’s Mother In Law Speaks Out About Her Daughter’s Current Situation - Iain Duncan Smith