Obese Told To Diet Or Lose Benefits

February 14, 2015

Embedded image permalink

This is a story I can see from both sides. As someone physically disabled since birth, I feel that if people bring obesity or drug or alcohol addiction on themselves for no good reason then their benefits should possibly be cut and given to others.

However, readers, that rarely happens. Drug or alcohol addiction could be caused by mental health issues or physical disabilities, particularly if people become disabled later in life. Addiction can also cause mental health issues. In such cases people are genuinely disabled and have conditions which cannot be helped or cured.

Also, readers, many studies have shown that wheelchair users are more likely to be obese, because many of them do not walk and are unable to carry out most forms of exercise. So before bringing in any such policies, the Government would need to clarify that overweight wheelchair users would be exempt from any benefit cuts.

Also, it is important to consider that people with physical disabilities, particularly my condition, Cerebral Palsy, who can walk often walk as if they are drunk. So if someone was to see a person with CP  walking, they may wrongly assume that person is an alcoholic and falsely report them for benefit fraud if this policy was to become law, when in fact they are completely genuinely disabled.

1. February 14, 2015 11:56 am

2. February 14, 2015 12:01 pm

I wonder if obese people in work will have their NI contributions reduced in leu of reduced out of work benefit reductions

3. John Caries permalink
    February 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Outstanding news…and LONG overdue in my opinion!
    The Welfare bill is still WAY to high though…much more is needed to weed out the idle and feckless.

• February 14, 2015 12:13 pm

John Caries- are you serious?

• maria permalink
      February 14, 2015 12:28 pm

This is Victorian thinking, it did not work then and it won’t work today, why are people so ignorant of their history and live such cossetted lives they do not know what the realities are for people who live in the real world.

• February 15, 2015 3:30 pm

John Caries you are totally deluded and more likely a life long Tory voter who votes for all their attacks on everyone, as long as it doesn’t affect you.

4. February 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Cutting benefits to the obese will kill them.

We learnt from Prisoners of War during the second world war, that people die of starvation quicker if overweight.

Average people take about a month to starve to death.

We already have 1 million people a year unemployed with nil benefit, including 23 weeks pregnant women and men and women in their 60s disabled and/or sick, from sanctioning.

It takes on average about 1 month to starve to death.

Sanctions are many months long or can be 3 years.

The Victorians killed 5 million with the workhouse and the forbidding of feeding the starving fromt he New Poor Law.

Foodbanks do not stave off starvation, as they are conditional restricted amount of vouchers a year.

Fareshare, the supplier to the foodbanks, is not state subsidised and so only gains 5000 tonnes of surplus food, when 400,000 tonnes are available.

And the obese more than pay tax from the 75 per cent of all tax that comes from stealth indirect taxes and VAT, even on food.

Fatty foods have the most VAT, but are the cheapest to buy.

You need money to eat healthily.

Our politicians from all of the big parties in the public eye, come from an aristocratic mindset taught in public schools and Oxford and Cambridge, including Labour.

There is another way and that is vote or starve,
    to bring in a rainbow coalition with none of the big parties into government in 2015.
    See how:

5. victedy permalink
    February 14, 2015 12:47 pm

No obese, disabled, jobless, poor, sick, drinkers, drug-takers, etc – the Tories are cutting their
    voters’ right down to the 1% aren’t they?

6. February 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Reblogged this on Britain Isn't Eating.

7. February 14, 2015 4:41 pm

and what about those who,through no fault of their own can no longer climb stairs, walk any distance and even the bit they can do is too slow to do much.who are forced by this govt to live in 1 bed-roomed flats/bungalows..as i do/. 6 steps to bedroom, bathroom, kitchen or front door.no back door.garden path which takes about 2-3 seconds to walk even slowly.i weighed 10st.6lbs when i moved here 17yrs ago. within the first year i put 2 stone on.that put me in the obese range. and i was more active then.in the last 7 years or more Ive gradually become less and less able to do what i was used to doing.now 12st 2lbs. due to eating better but having IBS which when it flares up causes weight loss. i cant get below that. I’m not getting out as i used to now. so that doesn’t help.

8. anon permalink
    February 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Personally I don’t believe that ANYONE deliberately becomes an addict or obese – there is always an underlying issue – often it is childhood sexual abuse.

Poorer people tend to fill up on high carbohydrate and wheat-based products which trigger insulin resistance leading to weight gain. Wheat also contains chemicals which act on the brain to trigger food cravings. (Google ‘Wheat Belly’ to learn more).

Moreover, many, if not most, psychiatric drugs cause (often severe and very rapid) weight gain as a side effect. On the other hand, MH patients risk being sectioned for forced hospitalisation, and/or being forcibly pinned down and injected with the drugs at home, should they fail to comply with a prescribed treatment regardless of the reason.

So it seems that anyone with an MH issue will now be faced with a choice between sectioning or sanctioning.

9. Sasson Hann permalink
    February 15, 2015 10:17 am

There are a few points to make about this.

Firstly, I know of people who need help with addiction, be it food or alcohol, but daren’t seek help from either their G.P. or organisations because of these sorts of threats, that once they’ve been ‘flagged up’ as addicts and then perhaps they’re not successful in losing weight or stopping their drinking, they’ll lose their benefits. These announcements we’ve heard over the last few years then have ended up becoming a deterrent to seeking help not an encouragement.

The other point is that the articles also said that people who don’t accept treatment for their illnesses will lose benefits too. Those suffering undiagnosed neurological conditions and people with disabilities like severe CFS/ME/Fibromyalgia dread hearing this, because those with severe symptoms know that it’s impossible to follow the NICE treatment regimes like PACE as it serious physical consequences that leave people in a much worse state than when they started the ‘treatment’. We really hope that sufferers of these conditions are not forced into treatment like this.

Back to the addiction subject it’s a case of ‘monkey see, monkey do’. When the government apply it to their own members – like sanctioning the ‘expenses’ of someone like Eric Pickles and having a ‘weigh in’ of all M.P.s each week under threat of the same – perhaps then they would have the right to tell the obese and addicts what to do!

10. jim strang welfare rights & employment law consultant permalink
    February 15, 2015 1:17 pm

mmm see this argument from both sides and their benefit can be paid to other people? how any cuts made does not go to other people surely you know that. this is just another attempt to cut benefit. the real statement was if obese, drinkers and drug addicts refuse help then benefits may be cut. that in anybody’s language would not appear unreasonable.

11. February 15, 2015 3:06 pm

I know I am overweight but that is due to the side effects of the meds I take, every time a GP says I need to lose weight I just tell them I’ll stop the meds right now! their reply is you shouldn’t stop them it could have serious consequences. so I tell them Don’t ever say I need to lose weight then when apart from starving myself I cannot lose weight, I have tried even when I came out of hospital in 2010 I used to eat one ready meal a day and still put on weight, even less than 1000 calories a day and I put on weight.

12. jaypot2012 permalink
    February 15, 2015 8:19 pm

Reblogged this on Jay's Journal and commented:
    I know exactly how it feels to try and lose weight but due to disability and meds that I take, it’s impossible. I am actually one of those people who don’t really like food, always have been, and I am so picky it’s unbelievable, but I know I have to eat and I force myself. I am also diabetic and know how important it is to eat and eat healthy foods. I mainly stick to porridge and cereals, without sugar. I haven’t got a sweet tooth, don’t like chocolate, sweets, cakes etc yet still I can’t lose weight. Having one leg at the age of 56 is no fun, especially when I am riddled with arthritis and need operations on both wrists, both shoulders and a new knee 😦

13. February 15, 2015 10:33 pm

I was diagnose with cfs in 2012. Since then I have put on four stones in weight due to no longer being able to work or exercise and the high levels of pain medication I take.
    Due to the severity of my condition it would be impossible for me to effectively engage in any weight reducing exercise regime nor is it feasable for me to give up my medication. Should these Tory attacks on the disabled continue I would hope that the U.N. investigates these polices as they are clearly crimes against humanity.

1. Now YouGov Are Asking Questions About Tory Plans To Cut Sickness Benefits From Obese And Addicts | Same Difference
  2. Ryan Ruckledge Is Addicted To Tanning Injections And He Wants Them Funded By The NHS | Same Difference
  3. A Women’s Magazine Wants People On DLA To Do Something Shocking | Same Difference