Sir Terry Pratchett- Tribute Open Thread

March 12, 2015

From Sir Terry Pratchett’s official Facebook page:

It is with immeasurable sadness that we announce that author Sir Terry Pratchett has died.

The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds. Rest in peace Sir Terry Pratchett.

I never personally agreed with Sir Terry’s views on assisted death. His books are not of a type I personally find interesting- I never read one.

However, readers, he was a disabled person who came to the attention of our community when he revealed his views on assisted death and made Choosing To Die.

News of death is never pleasant, whatever views you did or did not share during life.

This is an open thread for you to share your thoughts and tributes.

1. March 12, 2015 4:08 pm

2. March 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Like you, i never read any of his books, fantasy was never my thing. in any shape or form.but i know my son and my best friend have read all his books.and i appreciate that he must have had a brilliant mind to be able to write so many best sellers that people are still hunting for his first ones. he attacked his condition and remained as occupied with his writing as long as he could. condolences to his family and RIP Terry.

3. March 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Indirectly, it is through Sir Terry Pratchett (or Sir PTerry, as he was often known) that my husband and I met. We both had the great pleasure of meeting and conversing with him at conventions, and I even sang with him one night in the bar. Quite a shy and unassuming man who tended to shun the limelight.

Having worked with dementia patients, and being a person who had an illness that – up until recently – had a moderate to high chance of killing me slowly and painfully – I have to say that I was in favour of his choice when it came to his right to die with dignity. I still support that choice and the decision of individuals to follow that desire through to the end.

The Discworld novels are wonderful, and worth a read even if they’re “not your thing”. I was very pleasantly surprised when I picked up Wyrd Sisters and found myself falling in love with the Witches (the Crone, the Innocent and the Drunk Old Tart really lol) and Greebo, the most dangerous – and coolest – cat to ever walk the Disc. Also Death. If that’s Death personified, then I’m not afraid to shake his hand and go for a drink with him at The Mended Drum when my time is up.

4. philipburdekin permalink
    March 12, 2015 4:43 pm

A very sad loss to the world, he was a man who suffered Dementia and his way of coping helped many other sufferers like me to be able to accept the illness ang still carry on living, RIP Terry may God now protect you.

5. March 12, 2015 7:53 pm

He will be missed by far more people than he ever knew. Not many can say that. R.I.P.

6. March 12, 2015 7:53 pm