“If You Have Had A Child, Then Go Get A Job”

April 11, 2015

Readers, I’m not quite sure what to write right now. I feel like crying. I’m quite scared for the future of disability rights in the UK.
Late last night, the comment below was posted, in response to this post:
Willowbel permalink
April 10, 2015 11:38 pm

I don’t think people with sever (sic) disabilites should have children, if you are severely disabled and reciving (sic) disability support and money that shows that you are not capable of looking after yourself it shows that you cannot hold a job. If you are relying soley (sic) on the government to support you why should the tax payer have to support a lifestyle choice that you decided to to because you want to prove that you can do it. Well if you have had a child the (sic) go get a job and prove you don’t need to live of tax payers money.

It upset me very deeply, and I responded:
April 10, 2015 11:45 pm

This blog is open to all sides of opinion. However I have to say, this comment is one of the most offensive things I have ever read.

Can I just make one thing clear- receiving DLA/PIP DOES NOT necessarily mean a person is not capable of looking after themselves. DLA/PIP cover costs that would not be in a person’s life if they were not disabled. You ARE fully entitled to work and still recieve DLA/PIP. Many disabled people do.

For the record, I DO fully support the rights of disabled people to have children.

But I am shivering with fear at the level of hate that exists towards people claiming disability benefits in the UK today. I strongly believe that opinions like willobel’s are a direct result of welfare ‘reforms’ and media portrayal of these ‘reforms.’

But readers, this belief does not make willowbel’s words any less painful to read.

Today, readers, we’re being told we shouldn’t have children if we’re claiming disability benefits. Tomorrow we’ll be told we shouldn’t be alive if we’re claiming disability benefits.

Readers, I’m a strong person, a disability campaigner, with a lifetime of hearing such comments behind me. My tears will dry. However, if enough willowbels keep making similar comments, how long will it be before younger disabled people and those who become disabled later in life start believing the comments and limiting their lifestyles- or worse- their lives- as a result?

1. April 11, 2015 1:08 am

Reblogged this on markcatlin3695's Blog.

2. April 11, 2015 1:27 am

This government has a lot to answer for, because their attitudes towards sick and disabled people is making it legal for people like willowbel to make those offensive remarks. I get DLA and my DLA is crucial I helping me stay employed . Disabled people can and do work and we want to but are restricted in what we can do, but does that make us any less human beings?

3. Jeffery Davies permalink
    April 11, 2015 5:48 am

How can I reply to such unjust words cruel yes christian no humanity inthem no yet we had a woman who told you all like a preacher to sell our crown jewals so you listened then this new labour came along and greed realy took off you see its not hard the people listened to them all even our bishops forgot their jobs allowing their sheep to be culled by our government yet on it goes oh they shout out its unjust a few do jr our cantabury one even got up to tell the government in that house but sadly appoligised for it the next day yes even our bishops sleepwalk while they cull the stock whot chance have we well I ask has the good shepherd left his flock to look for that stray are they our bishops going to protect their flock has hhumanity has gone nuts greed brought forward by our politicians yet people without humanity need their eyes
    openned to the fact we all have that right to live jeff3

4. April 11, 2015 8:28 am

5. April 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Reblogged this on I'm a JSA Claimant.

6. April 11, 2015 3:10 pm

THE POOR DISABLED AMONGST THE 75 PER CENT OF ALL VOTERS THAT ARE THE POOR TODAY, in or out of work, or retired

If you want rid of Tory IAIN DUNCAN SMITH
    Chingford and Wood Green (London)

Tories won with 22,734 votes in 2010

21,725 did not vote in 2010

9,780 votes wasted on Labour in 2010
    7,242 votes wasted on Lib Dems in 2010

VOTE CLASS WAR

Liza McKenzie

Fellow (Professor) London School of Economics.

If you want rid of Tory PRIME MINISTER CAMERON
    Witney voting area

Tories won with 33,973 votes

20,997 did not vote

7,511 votes wasted on Labour
    11,233 votes wasted on Lib Dems

VOTE WITNEY:

National Health Action
    Clive Peedell

VOTING SMALL PARTY SOLE WAY TO GET UK MAJORITY GOVERNMENT

Labour cannot rule alone ever again.

Labour gained only around 250 MPs in 2010.

Minimum to rule is 326 MPs.

Labour will be reduced to around 190 MPs in 2015.

TORIES WILL REMAIN IN POWER

Without the Tories and Lib Dem MPs reduced by voting different on Thursday 7 May, the Tories will remain in power for another 5 years, in a Caretaker Government.

THIS IS THE VOTE OR STARVE ELECTION

More how the poor now vastly outnumber all other voters and how small parties have the biggest power in UK history.

7. April 12, 2015 12:56 pm

im disgusted at willowbells comments im not claiming any benifits but like to think that after all the years i have paid into the system and for the years my parents and grandparents have too that one day when i cant be the healthy working person anymore that there was something to fallback on. god forsake that you have a life threatning event happen to you and find that you get screwed over willowbell

8. Alistair permalink
    April 12, 2015 1:29 pm

to be honest it shows the level of intelligence in the country today, the person who wrote the original blog has a very limited education and is obviously repeating what they heard on daddy’s knees. Everyone disabled or not has the right to life and the right to a family.

9. The Infamous Culex permalink
    April 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Perhaps one should ask if anyone who knowingly votes Tory has the mental and emotional capacity to rear children, or if knowingly voting for the Tories constitutes some severe form of mental aberration?

10. mr fox permalink
    April 13, 2015 2:22 am

rascism, ageism, all forms of discrimination and against the law, but its fine to slate the financially challenged the sick and disabled mercilessly without reprisal?, I say no! discrimination is wrong and cowardly no matter who the target and uk law should reflect that but it wont as the law system is as corrupt as it gets, same goes for the politicians, I would describe them as deceitful slimeballs but thats much too complimentary.

11. Liz permalink
    April 13, 2015 6:35 pm

I think it is simply ignorance.