Indefinite Award DLA Transfer To PIP Will Start From July In Certain Postcodes

June 25, 2015

So far, readers, I am lucky. My postcode is not on this list. However, I do have an indefinite award of DLA, so this will affect me personally at some stage.

Put simply, I am very scared. With many thanks to Benefits And Work for the warning.

The DWP has today issued an updated timetable bringing forward the date when claimants with an ‘indefinite’ or ‘lifetime’ award of disability living allowance (DLA) will have to claim personal independence payment (PIP). Claimants will now start being assessed for PIP from 13 July 2015, instead of from October.

The decision is a deliberate snub to campaigners and to the courts after delays in processing PIP claims were found to be unlawful just last month.

Although the DWP argued at the time that they had greatly improved the speed with which claims were being dealt with, there are still many thousands of PIP claimants waiting for an assessment.

The first postcodes where DLA claimants with an indefinite award will start to be transferred are:

BB; BL; DE; LE; M; OL; PR; ST; WA and WN.

These postcodes cover parts of the following areas:

Blackburn, Bolton and Bury, Derby, Leicester, Manchester, Oldham, Preston, Stoke-on-Tent, Warrington, Wigan.

Atos carry out assessments in postcode areas:

BB; BL; M; OL; PR; WA and WN.

Capita carry out assessments in postcode areas:

DE; LE; ST.

1. Nick permalink
    June 25, 2015 2:40 pm

I think we are all scared and the best we can do is all pull together. I myself have been unable to sleep or eat properly for many years now all caused by the deaths of so many sick and disabled in going through welfare reform

As to why my body has reacted in this way to the deaths of the sick and disabled remain unclear but is sure as hell not a good place to be and weather i can ride this ongoing storm out remains to be seen and at a weight of 8 stone it will be extremely tough going that’s for sure

• Sasson Hann permalink
      June 26, 2015 8:39 am

Sorry that you’ve not been able to sleep due to the many deaths.

The only reason I sleep – on average 6 hours – is due to the cocktail of meds that I take in the evening; most of them for physical symptoms and 1 anti-depressant for PTSD. Even then, just prior and after the cons ‘won’ the election, I was having recurrent nightmares again; my anxiety was off the scale during the day such that I couldn’t speak due to continual panic attacks (which I hadn’t experienced for many many years). I really thought I was going to have another breakdown).

Like you say, we all have to pull together to support each other through these times. I’m in the ST area, so I’m expecting the letter soon. I was really depressed for the first 3 1/2 years of the coalition due to fear of losing my home, and as I said, I was spiraling a few weeks back. I’m trying my best now not to fear what may come. I use nearly all of my DLA to pay for care and transport, so if it’s taken, then I won’t be able to pay the local authority for my care whilst I appeal. But I’ve already worked out ‘worse case scenario’ and have friends and family who I know will help me if needs be.

I don’t want to be beholden to anyone but I’ll have to swallow my pride. I was so upset at the prospect – because I’ve always been so independent – that I considered suicide, so goodness knows how people feel who have no support network (much like that lady on the radio the other day I guess).

Well I hope that you start to get some sleep soon. I know it’s heartbreaking to read of all the suffering, and I gather that you’re quite personally involved in that, but we have to remain strong to face what’s to come Nick. I hope that you can find some support too during these difficult times.

• Nick permalink
        June 26, 2015 1:21 pm

What IDS forgets is that to keep harping on about welfare and cuts will bring about severe stress in sensitive sick and disabled individuals, which will lead and has led to their death.
        The overall standard of his administration based on that alone is appalling and ranks as worse as any dictator the world has ever seen

Withholding his welfare cuts plans before the election, he somehow managed to scrape back in but had he told on us all where the welfare cuts were going to be the chances are the conservatives would not have made it

As a former diplomat before my retirement I have always maintained that any country no matter where in the world conservatism is always bad news

There very political philosophy refers to right-wing politics, which advocate the preservation of personal wealth and private ownership (Capitalism) and emphasize self-reliance and Individualism. Conservatives in general are more punitive toward criminals, tend to hold more orthodox religious views, and are often ethnocentric, hostile toward homosexuals and other minority groups like the sick, and disabled

I sometimes wonder do the people of the UK actually understand politics or are they just true to form the selfish minority that in turn screws the whole world up for the majority

The only people who vote conservatives are the ones that like to be in control the control freaks’ those that like to pay a low wage on the back of taxpayer’ those that only ever see themselves and are blind to others’ those that like to see there millionaire status each month without a thought for anyone else’ those that wont to see no justice for anyone other than for themselves’ those that never wont to see equality for women or indeed anyone

This is David Cameron and IDS and co and despite their shocking values there are many in the UK that aspire to their ideals along with all of their hatred and wars with others

2. Vince Mack permalink
    June 25, 2015 2:52 pm

I see so its like the Work Capability Assessment farce all over again! To get DLA you have to be medically assessed by a trained Physician. Those clowns from ATOS and Capita don’t use medically trained people because they would have to pay them more. So some untrained flunky with a tick sheet gets to reassess a trained medical practitioners findings and rulings, yet again! So the message this government is sending is that they don’t trust Doctors!

3. June 25, 2015 2:58 pm

I have already been transfered to pip I still get the same money each month but it is not indefinite it has to reassessed every so often not entirely sure how long until it is reassessed but I do no it will be I myself am scared but il just have to wait to see what happens 😦

• June 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Were you on indefinite high rate DLA and were you automatically transferred to PIP, without assessment?

4. June 25, 2015 5:10 pm

5. June 28, 2015 3:34 pm

Yes I was on indefinite dla larsonsmum and I was transfered to pip without an assessment

• June 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Thanks for your reply – I had heard of others who had this automatic transfer too. I have 46 diagnosed illnesses/conditions, so time will tell what happens to me.

6. June 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Your very welcome larsonsmum Omg my heart goes out to you bless you il be thinking about you and hoping that you don’t have to go through this being transfered from indefinite dla to pip

7. June 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Your welcome you take care to

8. June 30, 2015 12:31 pm

I’m petrified too

9. Mary Bear permalink
    October 1, 2015 1:01 pm

I thought they’d leave me alone for a while because I live in a Postcode area NOT on the list .
    However, I have just been told that I have to claim PIP because my recent, ‘indefinite’ award of DLA is coming to an end. I am worried sick -especially since my husband (who is retiring this week in order to look after me) is going into hospital next week.

10. Alison Ryan permalink
    February 19, 2016 11:47 am

Id be interested to no what provision is being made for people like myself who have severe
    neurological conditions , from what ive read so far the form only seems to ask if ; you can
    walk so far or if you can cook or feed yourself or wash yourself etc thats all very well but what about people who can fit whilst washing cooking walking across the road generally day
    to day living what about them? just because a disability isnt seen doesnt mean that it doesnt
    affect every aspect of your life just as much .And for those of us that live alone who are at
    even greater risk . If im not awarded pip after getting dla thats a significant amount of monetary loss which was used to help to keep me financially afloat should i be off work sick
    for any length of time as i dont qualify for ssp . Instead of penalizing people who are generally disabled maybe they should be clamping down more who are faking it or working and claiming benefits there not entitled to after all ive seen so many people in the job centre
    with there expensive i phones and there expensive nike trainers ok for some innit.