Fit For Work Tests Pushing Disabled People To End Own Lives, Says Jeremy Corbyn

September 2, 2015

With many thanks to Welfare Weekly.

Iain Duncan Smith’s ‘fit for work’ tests are responsible for pushing disabled people into committing suicide, says Jeremy Corbyn.

Speaking to Channel 4, the Labour leadership front-runner said he had met many disabled people who had been subjected to fitness for work tests, otherwise known as the ‘Work Capability Assessment’ or WCA.

He added that some of those people were suffering from mental health conditions, and have taken their own life as a result of the humiliating and degrading medical assessments.

“I’ve met so many people with disabilities who’ve been through fitness for work tests where they’ve been approved as fit for work and clearly are not”, he said.

“Some are suffering mental health conditions. Some even commit suicide as a result of it.”

He added: “Most of them, I think in fact 60%, win appeals on this. So if 60% of decisions are being overturned on appeal, there’s something badly wrong with the decision-making in the first place.”

Jeremy Corbyn was responding to figures published last week by the Department for Work and Pensions, which revealed that more than 2,500 people had died after being told they were ‘fit for work’.

Mr Corbyn has called for Iain Duncan Smith to resign over the damning deaths figures.

If you’ve been affected by the issues raised in this article and need help and support, you can speak to the Samaritans in confidence on 08457 90 90 90 (UK).

1. mili68 permalink
    September 2, 2015 7:34 pm

Reblogged this on disabledsingleparent.

2. mili68 permalink
    September 2, 2015 7:34 pm

Tweeted @melissacade68

3. Nick permalink
    September 2, 2015 8:43 pm

The DWP do cause severe stress in many cases and i over the years have personally seen the death of one lady aged 35 who went down to 5 stone and died alone

I myself have been down to a low of 6 stone through their stress as the paperwork has been never ending and although iv’e never had to fill it in my professional carer has had to meaning the 1 hour month we used to have instead of attending to my health needs had be diverted to form filling

I am only eight stone today and still unable to sleep at all through their stress so am permanently tied

I do believe thou that IDS will stand trial at some point and like many look forward to that day when those that have suffered badly under his regime will get the chance to tell the court first hand on what it’s been like over the years of living with the DWP

I have managed to stay alive and only god knows how but for many it’s all been too much and we must remember those that have died and never ever again put anyone in power like IDS or David Cameron as to do so is recipe for living a life of hell

I sincerely wish that Jeremy Corbyn.does become the labour leader and goes on to greater things as we both have a similar background and have grown up in similar surrounding’s and am sure that if he’s anything like myself and I’m certain what I know of him is he will not only do his best for all in the uk but the wider world

• September 3, 2015 6:29 am

Sorry to hear all that you’ve been through Nick; it’s a never ending merry go round for the sick, except it aint exactly ‘merry’.

I’ve been ill for 20 years; worked for most of the 13 of those, with some breaks as I deteriorated. No formal diagnosis yet, which has caused no end of misery in itself. Now developed a heart condition, and been left in a terrible state these last 6 weeks, and the year prior when the new symptoms started. All through stress I believe, but we’ll see.

The DWP kills. Now social services are employing similar people, so I’ve been put through a disgusting time this last month, although my family have made a formal complaint and I’ve received an apology.

We’re never left alone just to cope with being severely ill; that in itself is psychological torment. When you stop enjoying anything about life because your illness makes it impossible, then you’re in a very vulnerable position. To add these further constant pressures is unbearable for many, and like others, I think about suicide often; it seems to be the only hope of some kind of release. I couldn’t do it to my family though. The combination of all these things makes for a truly miserable life.

I hope that you pick up a little and start to obtain some sleep at night Nick.

Thoughts are with you.

• Nick permalink
        September 3, 2015 7:35 am

The same to you and thanks 🙂

4. September 3, 2015 3:33 am

‘A DWP spokesperson said: “It’s irresponsible to suggest a causal link between the death of an individual and their benefit claim”.’

No, it is not.

What is irresponsible is to claim that there is no link between people losing financial support – whether through the bent WCA tests or through benefit sanctions – and some of those people killing themselves or starving to death.

5. jim brennan permalink
    September 3, 2015 9:33 pm

So sad to read what is happening in this country!! Also the comment by paul dickie about the dwp was spot on well said sir..
    People must now stick together and support each other, through web sites like this…the tory onslaught against the disabled and the mentally ill, can and will be turned around…good luck be well and stay strong ,everyone!!

6. September 4, 2015 6:54 am

Reblogged this on lawrencerowntree.