Police Appealing For Information As Disabled Woman Donna Stringer, 43, Fights For Life After Care Home Firework Attack
A disabled woman is fighting for life after her care home erupted in flames when “cowardly” thugs aimed fireworks at the building from a moving car.
Wheelchair user Donna Stringer became trapped and fell unconscious in the burning care home in Barking, east London, after the “drive-by” arson attack in the early hours of Friday, November 13.
The 43-year-old, who has learning difficulties, was rescued by firefighters in oxygen masks after at least eight others had escaped Lynwood Care Home.
She is now in intensive care after suffering terrible injuries in the blaze, which erupted at about 1am
Detectives today released CCTV footage of rockets being aimed from a car as they launched an appeal for information.
The Met said the culprits are believed to have targeted a number homes in the area with fireworks.
A heart-breaking photo showing critically injured Ms Stringer on life support was also released by officers in a rare move by Scotland Yard.
Det Sgt Karl Dines said her family are “devastated” and remain at her bedside.
She said: “As you will see in the footage that we have released today, this was a deliberate act where fireworks were thrown at a number of homes.
“This is a deeply upsetting incident involving an innocent and helpless victim who has severe learning difficulties.
“Donna is fighting for her life in hospital; medical staff are working tirelessly around the clock to keep her condition stable in the hope that she will recover.
“The fire has caused significant damage to the care home and devastated Donna’s loving family.
“It is vital that anyone who has any information about this incident comes forward and shares what they know as soon as possible.
“I would like to hear from anyone who has any information that may help us identify who is responsible.”
Detectives said they have made no arrests so far as they issued a plea for help from the public.
The other people who fled the home included six residents and two care workers, who all escaped unharmed.
They have been moved elsewhere due to the extent of the fire damage.
Barking and Dagenham council leader Darren Rodwell said: “This was an extremely cowardly act on some of the most vulnerable people in our community. It was not just an attack on them but an attack on our whole community.
“This kind of behaviour is not welcome in our borough and I am appealing to anyone with information to please contact the police.”
Anyone with information should contact Barking and Dagenham CID on 020 3276 1096 or via 101. Witnesses can also email information to LBBDAppeal@ or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 FREE.