Michael Fabricant MP Says Some Disability Benefit Claimants Are Taking The British Taxpayer For A Ride

March 18, 2016

Shocking comments by Michael Fabricant, Tory MP, in a statement a couple of hours ago.

Mr Fabricant issued his statement in an email sent to the media. This is what he said:

“George Osborne announced in the budget a further billion pounds to be spent on disability benefits – more than ever before. But with the population growing ever more elderly, it is important that benefits are targeted fairly.

“Social media has been rife with comments about changes to disability benefits. One person tweeted on budget day that a “quadriplegic has just written an excellent piece ( via voice automated keyboard)” that their benefits had been cut by the “wicked Tories” because of changes to the allowances.

“This cannot be true, so it really is time for a reality check.

“Firstly, no-one currently on disability benefits will have the amount of money they receive changed.

“And secondly, if after 2017 someone were unfortunately to begin to suffer from a severe disability, they will receive the same benefits and also not be affected by these changes.

“It is really as straightforward as that.

“But I know people, as I am sure you do, who are living with cancer, multiple sclerosis, and other diseases who want to work to keep busy, are working, and are happy to do so. Despite their problems, they lead full and productive lives.

“There are others who have far less threatening disabilities who work for reduced hours in jobs that accommodate their condition. And good for them for making the best of a difficult situation.

“And then there are others who could work, but because they are receiving benefits, they choose not to. Perhaps you know some of them too. They may not see it this way, but they are taking the British taxpayer for a ride to the tune of over £500 million, and rising, each year. That just can’t be allowed to go on when the money could be better spent on education and the NHS.

“So from 2017, if unfortunately someone becomes disabled, an independent medical team will assess that person. If they believe someone is capable of work, they will receive the same amount of money as Job Seekers Allowance just like everyone else – which is less than full disability benefit – to encourage them to seek work.

“With unemployment in the Lichfield area currently less than 1%, I think that’s only fair to both those in work who pay their income tax to pay for these benefits and, actually, to those who could lead more productive lives.

“Of course, if – once these new provisions come in – anyone feels they have been incorrectly medically assessed, they should write to their own MP. If that MM is me, I will take up their case – as I would always do.”

1. March 18, 2016 12:32 am

whats he mean by THATS impossible?….. does he mean that its impossible for someone to write an email using voice recognition software? how does he think Steven Hawkins does it? my own stepmother before she died had started using the same technology as she was blind and partially deaf. another tory who doesnt research his points before opening his big mouth,

• March 18, 2016 6:38 am

He clearly doesn’t know what he’s talking about as he’s incorrect on that point but also on the point that ‘no one curretnly on diability benefits will see the amount they receive change’, as many have found out when they migrate from DLA to PIP!

• March 18, 2016 2:26 pm

your right..anyone on benefits has to monitor every penny they recieve and how its spent so of course they will notice even if it were only 1p short. hes deluded as all money people are.

2. March 18, 2016 1:15 am

Isn’t life wonderful in Tory La-la land. The Tories can’t justify the cuts to the disabled, so they resort to this type of rubbish.

3. March 18, 2016 2:40 am

Reblogged this on markcatlin3695's Blog.

4. March 18, 2016 6:38 am

Reblogged this on disabledsingleparent.

5. March 18, 2016 6:38 am

Tweeted @melissacade68

6. March 18, 2016 7:09 am

7. Deborah Dickson permalink
    March 18, 2016 8:24 am

Disgusting, iv worked all my life paid all my god dam taxes,now I’m MENTALLY and physically unwell, I get nothing, for 4months iv lived on biscuits gone days without heat and electric. Which is making my mental health worse. I was good enough for the government when I could slog my guts out 10hours a day as a single parent just to get by ,but now I’m very unwell I get nothing. You have my blood on your hands. If I could go to work tomorrow I would!!!!4 months without a hit meal. Could you do that ??????I’m just a number I have no voice, if I can work pay my taxes fine, if I can’t because I’m mentally and physically f****d I’m left to rot. Suicide is my only way out now, I’m starving alone and scared, so thank you government for ruiening and ending my life single handedly.

• March 18, 2016 2:30 pm

just a suggestion.. and i know this doesnt solve it all, but instead of buying biscuits couldnt you spend that money on veggies n make a veggie casserole or stew? at least you will get some vitamins in you. biscuits are just sugar flour n flavourings. no goodness in them at all.

• March 21, 2016 9:14 pm

I’m sure you meant well but did you not notice the part about no heat and electric? She has no way of cooking food, so of course she can’t make a vegetable stew.

• March 25, 2016 5:43 pm

i apologise.your right. i had missed the no heat or electric bit.

8. Gordon Eagling permalink
    March 18, 2016 8:56 am

And MP are not taking everyone for a ride. over 10k on a portrait, massive expense account of £160k o leave it out you ignorant idijut

9. mark taha permalink
    March 18, 2016 2:16 pm

“Some” is a word that can mean just about anything. The vast majority of claimants aren’t!

10. March 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Reblogged this on campertess and commented:
    The thing is these MPs are brainwashed from a very young age, it’s in their upbringing. So really we should pity him & if these cuts weren’t so dangerous then we could laugh at him. It just goes to show that the amount of deaths there have been up till now hasn’t even figured in his brain even though there has been coverage in the media it all means nothing to him.

1. Michael Fabricant MP Says Some Disability Benefit Claimants Are Taking The British Taxpayer For A Ride | Same Difference | Jay's Journal

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )