Happy New Tax Year! No Payrise On ESA Or DLA

April 6, 2016

Remember when they told us disability benefits wouldn’t be frozen for three years, like other working age benefits?

Well, it seems they weren’t telling us the truth.

The Huffington Post reports:

While the government has committed to ensure the most vulnerable people in society are not adversely affected, Citizens Advice warns sick and disabled Employment Support Allowance (ESA) claimants will still be hit.

Clients with issues related to benefits included in freeze, by health condition or disability. (Source: Citizens Advice)

The majority of the benefit is formed by the ‘basic rate’ of ESA, which will be subject to the freeze, they say

“This wider effect is significant, given all who receive the benefit have been assessed to have a disability or health condition that limits their ability to find and retain work.

“If those with work-limiting health conditions are classed as vulnerable, there is a failure to apply this principle consistently to those receiving ESA.”

The article says that disability-related benefits that are now frozen are ESA, the ESA WRAG, and the corresponding element of Universal Credit.

Our editor, a claimant of DLA with an indefinite award, was excited by reports that DLA would not be affected by the freeze. As she does every year on the 6th of April, she awaited her annual payrise. However she is sad to report that this year on the 6th of April, her payrise never came. This morning, she has received written confirmation that her DLA Award amount will not increase, in this tax year at least.

So it appears that DLA will be frozen.

Same Difference would be very interested to find out whether Carers’ Allowance has been frozen. Can any carers let us know in the comments below?

1. April 6, 2016 1:16 pm

of interest? >

2. Jackie McMyler permalink
    April 6, 2016 1:22 pm

Got a letter regarding Carers Allowance last week saying from 11.4.2016 the rate would be £62.10, so no change, looks like Carers Allowance has been frozen too.

3. Spoonydoc permalink
    April 6, 2016 1:27 pm

Disability and carer benefits rise in line with CPI. This is decided with last September’s interest. So whatever the interest is in September, that is what will be used for the entire year.

Unfortunately the CPI in Septemebr 2015 was negative: – 0.1. So our interest is set at 0% this year and as a reasult ALL benefits are frozen for 2016.

4. Stephen Landregan permalink
    April 6, 2016 2:50 pm

Spoonydoc is absolutely correct

5. Janie Clare permalink
    April 6, 2016 9:28 pm

Also the amount a carer can earn & still get CA has not risen, still £110/wk. Could cause problems bc of rise in national living wage. Why when income tax threshold rises, why not carers pay limit?

6. April 7, 2016 8:12 am

Yes, carers is frozen too……….. Because £62.10 goes such a long way.. #irony.

7. SHANE SCOTT permalink
    April 7, 2016 5:18 pm

I have been taken off my D.L.A Indefinite Awarded to me in Feb 2015 and in April 2015 they told me I had to go over to P.I.P as D.L.A has stopped and they reduced my money from the high rate mobility and care on dla which was meant to be for life and given me standard rate on both components,So I am losing just over £300 a month and have lost my mobility Car and then there is people that are claiming to be bed bound and they ain’t and there dla hasn’t been affected because they are over 60 well I’m sorry if Im forced of my benefit then so should they as it’s not fair as half if them get about a lot better than me without them using walking sticks or chutches. Its a discrace. It shouldn’t be one rule for one and another rule for someone else.

1. Happy New Tax Year! No Payrise On ESA Or DLA — Same Difference | Benefit tales
  2. Happy New Tax Year! No Payrise On ESA Or DLA | Through My Eyes

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )