Skip to content

Revealed: The Secret DWP Plan To Charge Disabled People To Appeal Benefit Decisions

April 21, 2016

Whitehall officials secretly plotted to charge disabled people for the right to appeal cruel benefit decisions, the Mirror can reveal today.

An internal Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) paper seen by the Mirror shows the Government also considered stopping people’s benefits altogether pending the outcome of an appeal.

Other plans drawn up by the DWP included slashing appeal times from 12 months to just three, and narrowing the scope of appeal tribunals so that fewer are successful.

The proposals are laid bare in a secret DWP document drawn up last year titled ‘Appeals Strategy – post-election planning 2015’.

The document appears to have been a response to the huge number of adverse benefit decisions which are overturned on appeal.

The DWP tried to stop the report being made public – but bungling officials failed to properly redact its contents.

Labour’s shadow work and pensions secretary Owen Smith said: “This secret document shows the inner workings of a department that seems determined to make life harder for disabled people and low-wage working families.

“No wonder they wanted to charge disabled people for appealing against decisions to cut their support, when more than 50 per cent of those appeal are successful.

The document sets out eight ‘policy options’ under consideration for a planned clampdown on benefits appeals after the May 2015 election.

Options listed include ‘charging for appeals’, ‘narrowing the scope of the tribunal’, ‘reducing appeal time length from 12 months to three’ and ‘remove payment of ESA (Employment Support Allowance) pending appeal’.

The officials note many of the options would be ‘controversial’ and ‘attract criticisms’ – while some could include wholesale rewriting of the law.

Last night disability charities erupted in fury at the revelations officials even considered such a clampdown.

Dan Scorer, head of policy at the learning disability charity Mencap, said: “It’s deeply concerning that anyone in the DWP thought these policies were acceptable.

“If introduced they would block disabled people’s ability to seek justice and challenge benefit decisions made against them, taking away the support they desperately rely on to find work and to maintain their independence and health.

“The assessments system for people with a learning disability is already broken, with over half of Fit for Work decisions being overturned by tribunal.”

Mark Atkinson, chief executive at disability charity Scope added: “The best way to reduce the number of appeals is to improve assessments – not make it more difficult to for disabled people to challenge incorrect decisions.”

And Child Poverty Action Group chief Alison Garnham said: “A benefit system that focuses on people has to be accountable and have fair and accessible mechanisms for appealing benefit decision.

“We hope that charges for appeals, cursory paper-based reviews, or any change that would restrict access to justice will not see the light of the day. “

A DWP spokeswoman insisted the proposals were not taken forward by the Government as actual policies.

“These ideas were drafted by staff before the last election. They do not represent Government policy and have never been sent to Ministers,” she said.

One Comment leave one →
  1. Justin Greenwood permalink
    April 21, 2016 11:20 am

    the fact that this was even though of is deplorable, as to no ministers knowing about this, i very much doubt that, this sounds just like a ids policy, with freud and co all rubbing there hands and jumping up and down with joy at such a wonderfull concept, unfortunately when you have a assessment for greed policy and are employing the capita/atos/maximus and employees like barham this will never work.

    the policy and the dwp needs a complete overhaul, this should be in the form of every appeal that is succesfull the case is then looked at to see what mistakes were made by the hcp and the decision maker, if the mistakes were serious enough the hcp should be automatically reported to there appropriate professional body, the decison maker should also face a procedure for not spotting the mistake as well, any hcp who assessment comes under scrutiny more than twice should have his paperwork assessed by other professionals before passing onto decision makers, there should be random outside spot-checks similiar to a cqc inspection with service users with lived experienced assessing some of the paperwork and if there is reasonable doubt, then so more check against the person’s concerned should be acted on.

    to many of these hcp are getting away with writing dubios assessments and nothing is being done and some of there qualifications for the role are dubious as well, there needs ot be regulation that is tougher than the current system and where there is wrongdoing, due process should be followed to make sure that the people concerned are removed from practice.

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: