Advertisements

A Tribute Post For Debbie Jolly, Co Founder, Disabled People Against Cuts

November 10, 2016

I am very sad to have just heard of the death of Debbie Jolly. Debbie was a co-founder of Disabled People Against Cuts, a campaign group I highly respect. Debbie and I never met in person but we have been connected on Facebook and Twitter for years and we have over a hundred mutual Facebook friends.

Disabled People Against Cuts member Linda published this lovely tribute at the DPAC site:

It is with great sadness that we have to tell you one of our co-founders, Debbie Jolly has died following a short hospital stay. As disabled people everywhere we’ve lost a friend and advocate and a fighter for our movement.

Debbie has played a hugely influential part in the development of DPAC since 2010 and she and I have worked together virtually every day since dealing with the day-to-day things that needed to be done to make DPAC the successful campaign group we have become.

Debbie was one of the main people involved in initiating the UN inquiry into the UK’s grave and systematic violation of disabled people’s human rights which will be a lasting testimony to her life and work.

Debbie was a warrior and tireless campaigner for disabled people’s human rights and most of all she never wanted to be hailed as a heroine or praised by others for the work that she did.

All of the steering group and our allies from Black Triangle campaign are in deep shock and I have felt very lost in the past few weeks without Debbie to support me and be by my side. Many thanks to those who have responded to my requests for help during this time.

My thoughts are with all the friends I shared with Debbie and with everyone who has been affected by her very sad death.

RIP Debbie Jolly, thank you for your friendship.

Advertisements
  1. November 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Reblogged this on disabledsingleparent.

2. November 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Tweeted @melissacade68

3. November 10, 2016 3:49 pm

Reblogged this on Lindas Blog and commented:
    Rest in Peace Debbie, your courage and tenacity on our behalf will never be forgotten whilst we keep up the fight for freedom, justice and equality for all Disabled….. x

4. jeffrey davies permalink
    November 10, 2016 3:57 pm

RIP Debbie Jolly another who fought against this abuse by gov youl be sadly missed by all jeff

5. Bookworm permalink
    November 10, 2016 4:34 pm

RIP Debbie Jolly. Your work and your fight on behalf of disabled people won’t be forgotten and the fight for justice for all will continue now more than ever. Condolences to all family, friends and DPAC×××

6. scott permalink
    November 10, 2016 5:55 pm

i remeber Debbie contacting me when I was going through my assessments I was suicidal and her words helped me through a difficult time- a star has gone out!

7. November 10, 2016 8:24 pm

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )