BBC Radio Host Michael Buerk Says ‘Let Fat People Die To Save The NHS Money’

August 6, 2019

Mochael Buerk, host of BBC Radio 4’s The Moral Maze, has made some outrageous comments about obesity.

He said the state should let fat people die to save the NHS money and that obesity should not be classed as a disease. He added ‘leave couch potatoes alone. They’re weak, not ill.’

Michael Buerk is wrong on all levels.

Firstly, obese people are still human and they fully deserve support to live for as long as is naturally possible. Some of them maybe do bring obesity on themselves, however there are many reasons for obesity which no one can help. Every obese person is not, as Michael Buerk suggests, fat because they eat too much.

Steroids, which are prescribed for many genuine conditions and physical disabilities, particularly arthritis, cause obesity. No one asks for arthritis, or Crohns, or colitis.

Also, wheelchair users and physically disabled people are often obese. They do not eat too much but it is physically impossible for them to move. Obese people are certainly not weak- many of them are genuinely ill.

Also, the idea of wanting humans to die to save anyone money is one that upsets me deeply.

I hope the BBC will distance themselves publicly from these remarks and strongly discipline Michael Buerk.

1. August 6, 2019 1:27 pm

Most obesity is self-inflicted. I care for a lady who cannot walk, & we see lots of fat people with Blue Badges blocking spaces for genuinely disabled people.

2. Katpus permalink
    August 6, 2019 1:30 pm

Buerk is a Eugenicist, who is full of his own bull shit…

3. August 6, 2019 4:19 pm

Slap7 clearly you know nothing about the side effects of disability or medication. People dont get Blue Badges just for being fat.

• August 7, 2019 9:47 am

Most people are fat because of overeating. They then develop medical problems because of this. Once they have problems waddling, a Blue Badge is issued. Yes, a few are overweight because of medical problems, but not the vast majority.

4. August 6, 2019 4:21 pm

Reblogged this on michaelsnaith.

5. paul josling permalink
    August 6, 2019 5:09 pm

If the average life expectancy for males in the UK is 76 would the 73 year old berk think I would think 3 years and his time is up because I might. I think he is mean because he is thin. How about that!

6. August 7, 2019 9:25 am

This is disgusting and appalling! As someone who has very limited mobility, it angers me that people think obesity is only self inflicted because they are weak. You couldn’t be more further from the truth! 3 things come to mind that a human cannot possibly stop – medication side effects are very common causes for gaining weight – if the medication is working for us, others do not have the right to taunt us for being fat or obese. It is something we physically cannot change. People with limited mobility or no mobility at all cannot exercise like an able-bodied person. We do what works well for us and what our illnesses can contend with. If we exert ourselves then we are more at risk of our health worsening and ending up in hospital. Lastly, I know a lot of people, including myself who have turned to comfort eating due to stress and traumatic events. Maybe if we received adequate treatment for psychological issues, we wouldn’t turn to food so easily. Maybe if the government actually gave a damn about the people, we wouldn’t be waiting for months on end for treatment we so desperately need!

7. rita permalink
    August 8, 2019 4:20 pm

I am surprised the BBC let people hear this drivel from person who read the news. Pompous bloke who couldn’t answer easy questions on a recent tv quiz. He should remember we get 3 score years & 10. He’s helping bullies with these comments. Thus causes us disabled to be picked on & awful comments.

• Paul Josling permalink
      August 8, 2019 7:59 pm

Michael Beurke, presenter of The Moral Maze stated in the Radio Times, I heard, that obese people should be left to die. I am obese and I have had two visits to the dietician. On the first visit I was in tears and hopeless on the second I said yes I can do this. Then Beurkes comments. He is seventy three. The male life expectancy is 76 in UK. Wouldn’t it be fairer to advocate euthanising him then and that being not hate speech but equality. Some people and I am one of them are obese in my own view due to psychiatric medication side effects and medication due to a condition the Turks have called black love but which the psychiatrists don’t deal with- unrequited love. Social-Darwinism says cheats don’t survive so I am philosophical about the reasons for my obesity/illness in terms of it being my fault, even as I wish to cure it for the pressing health reasons and admit to obesity having sometimes more than one cause. This unlike Beurke who is unreasonable and polemical I personally think Beurke is mean because he is thin. What would he make about that? As Shakespeare said;”Let me have men around me that are fat, and such men who sleep o’nights” A revolution would cure this situation for example Beurke must own thousands. According to the United Nations if you own more than £200,000 then you are rich. What of the poor? Let the rich die? No, EAT them! I think he should face some sanction as what he is saying is hate speech – though it hasn’t affected me. I had my own view of him previously formed

1. BBC Radio Host Michael Buerk Says ‘Let Fat People Die To Save The NHS Money’ — Same Difference | sdbast
  2. BBC Radio Host Michael Buerk Says ‘Let Fat People Die To Save The NHS Money’ | Same Difference | Tory Britain!