Unemployed Man Suing PM For £1 Million In Freedom Of Speech Battle

July 10, 2014

An unemployed Holton-le-Clay man is suing Prime Minister David Cameron for £1 million in a battle over freedom of speech.

Jobseeker Harvey Stone claims he was unlawfully prosecuted for sending the government an email protesting against their treatment of the unemployed.

The father of one,of South View, says his struggle to find a job has been made infinitely harder after he sent a “protest email” to the government over George Osbourne’s “Help to Work” scheme, and was charged with a criminal offence as a result.

Mr Stone, who is married with a 16-month old daughter, says he was charged with an offence under the Malicious Communications Act 1988, after sending the email, protesting against the Chancellor’s controversial plans to make the unemployed perform unpaid labour.

The family man, who says the Tory leader has “allowed his government to discriminate against and criminalize the unemployed”, through the much-criticised policy, claims his human right to freedom of expression has been violated.

He has now launched a High Court bid for £1 million in damages, claiming his reputation and future chances of gaining employment are in tatters as a result of the furore.

In a writ lodged at London’s High Court, Mr Stone’s sets out his case, saying:

“Prime Minister David Cameron has allowed his government to pursue a course of action designed to discriminate against and criminalize the unemployed, breaching the Human Rights Act 1998 Article 4, the prohibition of slavery and forced labour.

“This prompted a protest email from myself, for which I was arrested and charged under the Malicious Communications Act 1988.”

Mr Stone claimed that the arrest and charge breached his human right to free speech, and caused loss and damage to himself and his struggling family.

“Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. The negligent actions of David Cameron’s government could lead to a criminal record for myself making it hard to find a job,” he said.

Mr Stone is claiming £500,000 in lost future earnings and a further £500,000 for damage to his reputation, “and the stress his government has caused to myself and my family, as I try to support my wife and my 16-month old daughter.”

Emphasizing the gulf in status between himself and the Prime Minister, Mr Stone also adds in the writ: “I have no money…I am unemployed, do not own property or anything of financial value and have to support my wife and daughter on benefits.”

He concludes: “The issues raised are of general public importance. Only too often the litigant in person is regarded as a problem for judges and for the court system, rather than the person for whom the civil justice system exists.”

Mr Cameron’s lawyers have acknowledged receipt of the claim against him but his defence to the action was not available from the court. Mr Stone’s case has yet to be tested in evidence before a judge.

1. philipburdekin permalink
    July 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Good luck to the man, the thing is that this effects every man, woman and child in Britain. I think he needs everyone’s support.

2. Tony Wrightley permalink
    July 10, 2014 2:25 pm

Power to The People !!! Let’s ALL support him, Let’s ALL send a similar letter in – I’d like to see them try and arrest 50,000 people !!!!

3. Maria permalink
    July 10, 2014 3:15 pm

I agree with this man, I don’t care if they arrest me. For saying it either, they have taken everything away from me already, money to live, they deny me equipment to find work, my life is shot in tatters anyway, I have nothing to lose. Criminalizing me will not make my employability any worse, as disability and having support taken away has already done that, fining me will not do much good anyway as I have next to nothing to live on, except charity. This government is a disgrace, a utter selfish disgrace and it is shirking it’s responsibilities to the people of this country and now they have pushed us all too far.

• debb mills permalink
      July 10, 2014 6:44 pm

Well said maria in a really bad way myself over all this crap from Cameron and the rest of them and I too couldn’t give a shit if they wanted to arrest me too same as yourself maria have lost everything because of them worst one being my home of seventeen years because of bedroom tax now living a life of misery in one bed top floor flat with the neighbours from hell will never get out of here excuse language but wouldn’t piss on Cameron if he was on fire any of them in fact

• Maria permalink
        July 11, 2014 1:44 am

what sickens me the most is this every man for himself culture this government has created by twisting what vulnerable people say and showcasing a lot of the worse fraud, now a lot of people believe the welfare system is full of cheats, but fraud and abuse of the system is relatively rare. That we will lose soon what makes Britain as a country special, and are known now as tyrants who kick the poor when they a down.

4. July 10, 2014 3:16 pm

5. July 10, 2014 4:22 pm

The guy suing Cameron has my backing 100%, why should he be the one to lose out because of freedom of speech, Cameron ought to get over himself, how does he think the rest of us deal with other people using freedom of speech, we just ignore a lot of the nonsense, and get on with it. Grow up Cameron!!

6. July 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Reblogged this on Diary of an SAH Stroke Survivor.

7. Peter B permalink
    July 10, 2014 5:40 pm

What did the actual email say, freedom of speech is one thing and must be supported but if it was covered by the Malicious Communications Act then it begs the question how many emails and what was the content and can we see them to make an informed judgement ?

8. dawn permalink
    July 10, 2014 6:30 pm

I would be interested to no as i am a single parent and i have had a disagreement with an advisor at the jobcenter. My children are 4 and 5. As of April this year they changed the requirements for single parents on income support. They ar now expecting after your child turns 3 you are expected to do work related activities. That in voles training with reed employment agency joining the universal job match uploading my CV. I am actively looking for work although i am not required to until my youngest child turns 5. The advisor in the jobcenter said that i was required to give her my password and access to my universal jobmatch. I refused as i said i am not required to it is optional on there it asks would you like to the jobecenter to have access it does not have an astrex by it meaning its a definate requirement so i said no on there. When i saw the woman she said i had to give it to her so they can look at what i am applying for. Another adviosor then piped up and said you are not required to give it but it helps us look at your matches and jobs your applying for. I was told if i dont give it i am then required to bring in evidence of what i have been applying for and looking at. How can this be when i am told that i am not required to apply for a job until my child turns 5? I am looking for work but i dont choose to show them because i feel its an infringement on my privacy one which i do not feel is required for me to give at this stage. So i hope this gentleman succeeds i am behind him 100%

• Ginnie Landon permalink
      July 10, 2014 7:08 pm

I met with the Manager of our Jobcentre Region recently and brought this up as we have had women coming into our office telling us the same story. He tells me it is illegal. Reed are using all sorts of dirty tricks. Saying they sent letters for appointments when they have not is a regular. Tell them to email you as you want to keep the relationship between you honest and open. They can’t have your password – Data Protection Act. Talk to your local CAB although they are all working flat out.

• dawn permalink
        July 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Thank you i thought i was correct in thinking i don’t have to give them my password. The people that work there are for the most part i have found like little Hitlers they certainly don’t like it when you no more than they do.

9. Marie Christie permalink
    July 10, 2014 6:35 pm

I hope this opens the floodgates to the thousands of others affected by this..

10. July 10, 2014 6:36 pm

So, a chink in the armour…….they’re not as thick skinned as they like to portray. The case, yet to be judged by one of the neutral thinking court officials (?) to see if it’s credible to proceed, will bring current travesties to light IF the controlled media pick up on it but I doubt that will be allowed. It is a common-sense legal argument and I hope the e-mails were not childishly worded, although the article seems to portray the man as a literate, genuine person with a legitimate case. The rhetoric and agenda is becoming transparent to those of us that refuse to be fooled any more, but to use the very system that polices our freedoms to highlight the injustices currently happening would be extremely encouraging.

11. Stuey permalink
    July 10, 2014 6:38 pm

I’m totally behind the man in principle, but would be interested as to how he arrived at a nice, round million ?
    We’re not told how old he is – but £500,000 in lost earnings equates to around 19 years at the current national average wage and around 38 years at minimum wage
    Then a further £500,000 for damage to reputation and stress ?

My point being
    If these numbers can’t be supported on a legitimate basis then the court could easily rule the claim as merely pedantic (there is a proper, legal term – but I can’t remember it) and throw it out
    Which will then make it easier for the government to dodge similar actions

12. July 10, 2014 6:46 pm

More power to your elbow sir, i salute you and whole heartedly hope that you get the outcome that you deserve, it’s time someone took them down a peg or two, how anyone with a conscience can vote them in is beyond me.

13. July 10, 2014 8:08 pm

The high court has recently ruled that it is illegal to force people to do unpaid work in order to receive benefit, i wish this fellow every success in the world

14. July 10, 2014 8:09 pm

Good for him. Push on to the European Court if you need to. 100% behind you. We will probably be arrested soon for posting ‘malicious’ facebook statuses. Well bring it on, because I have the right to say what I like so long as I am not offending anyone. To be honest, I don’t really care about offending oiks…..I find the policies of this Govt singularly offensive, so I want them arrested!!

15. July 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Reblogged this on karenstoneblog and commented:
    It is getting seriously worrying the way Cameron and the government are demonising the vulnerable. This country has supposedly the right to free speech but it appears to be disappearing through clever legal loopholes. I have not actually read this mans email but he must be allowed the right to protest. I hope he wins . I’m assuming he has extremely good legal representation and that they are doing it pro bono.

16. Wirral In It Together permalink
    July 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Reblogged this on Wirral In It Together and commented:
    Good luck to this brave man. We all have to stand up and be counted…

17. July 11, 2014 12:52 am

I think the word you where looking for is vexacious

18. Tom McFarlane permalink
    July 11, 2014 3:34 am

Malicious emails? It is absolutely ridiculous, every time Cameron opens his mouth at the dispatch box he is being deliberately malicious to the poor and disenfranchised of this country. He may be protected by parliamentry privaledge at present but that will not allways be the case. One day he will have to answer for his crimes against humanity.
    Good luck with the court case.

19. July 11, 2014 7:30 am

Reblogged this on Ron's Rants….

20. jaypot2012 permalink
    July 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Well done that man – I so hope that he wins.
    As for Cameron – I have always thought of him and his cronies as earwigs – I have never worked out why earwigs are on this earth and what awful things they are. They give me, and anyone I know, the heebie jeebies – ick!
    The likes of him and IDS think they are above the law, well tough, they are not and they will find out one day that they can be taken down!
    Anyway, good luck to the man and his family 🙂

21. Wayne permalink
    July 11, 2014 8:40 pm

I will back this gentleman (FREEMAN) of the land 110%, i have had similar issues claiming benefits as due to this Mandatory work placement scheme, all’s i hear every time i have an appointment is these so called advisers telling you that “IF YOU DO NOT CONFORM YOU WILL BE SANCTIONED”. they have quotas to make and are told to preach the governments bible to you and nothing else matters..i tried to discuss a place of work that would suit my work skill sets which i have worked hard for, they told me ” I have no choice pffft what? i said Don’t tell me i have no choice..it has to be a charity or non-profit company… i checked it out on company’s house and it was a LTD company, i questioned this and put an appeal in against my benefits being sanctioned at this point i wasn’t receiving anything or N.I contributions, stripped bare no JSA, had to go to a foodbank..also it affected housing benefits and council tax, i told them that this company was dissolved in 2009 and set up again in 2013 and is a LTD company, i did my homework and they reinstated my benefits but still with a sanction as i know that this company is making a profit by using FREE (slave) labour, i told them if you do not pay me i will go and steal to eat, then if caught end up with a criminal record, sent to jail, find it harder to become unemployed, i am a descent hard working individual, have a list of qualifications, lost my last job because i spoke up to the management for not doing his job properly, had no union to stand up for me so didn’t have a leg to stand on, as for the 70% of the workforce being foreigners i would easily be replaced..What is this country coming to, sold of to private corporations… stand your ground people, we are the 99% of this country and our grandparents didn’t fight there dirty wars for it to come to this. if we can find evidence of there wrong doings as they try to manipulate us by grounding us down with there rules, we the people are the backbone of this country, let us make a stand and make a peaceful protest to get this vermin out of parliament once and for all..They created this system and broke it NOT US….come and see me, lock me up i do not care for your systems, this land, earth is not yours to own, once the human race has gone this planet will continue as it has done since time begun..we are the only living species on this planet that uses a monetary system, it is just worthless paper, it’s best kept on trees, not for your greedy fat profits, trying to control the masses like sheeple, you are no different than us, you are nothing without us…RANT OVER…..good luck with this case hope you win sir…..