A Poster From The Government’s Benefit Fraud Campaign

October 21, 2014

I’ve just spotted one of the posters from the Government’s benefit fraud campaign on Facebook.

Photo: Are you committing benefit fraud? If your circumstances have changed and you haven’t updated your details then you need to let us know. It’s better to be safe than sorry. gov.uk/dotherightthing

1. John Caries permalink
    October 21, 2014 11:11 am

Great news…and not before time either!

• victedy permalink
      October 21, 2014 1:18 pm

When there’s a poster for

Tax avoiders, etc
      Expenses-fiddling MPs etc

Then I will applaud the above poster.
      I am not saying fraud should be overlooked, what I am saying is: there’s one law for the rich (Maria Miller being a case in point – did she pay the 90k she fiddled) and another for the poor.

2. victedy permalink
    October 21, 2014 1:14 pm

I am sure some clever tweeters will make something funny out of that photo (sadly I can’t I’m at work) 😦

3. October 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Reblogged this on Britain Isn't Eating.

4. jeffrey davies permalink
    October 21, 2014 6:10 pm

are you claiming for your family member at your surgery whilst they push their trolley around that super market um

5. Kate Blair permalink
    October 22, 2014 4:27 pm

The problem is that such campaigns can effect peoples perception of people on benefits and reinforce the erroneous view that benefit fraud is rife. This in turn stigmatises those on benefit .

I have seen stories of people being abused being called benefit cheats even when they are not claiming benefits. This stigma can mean that some who are legally entitled to benefits but do not claim them (in some cases leading to real hardship) are less likely to make a claim.

I am not naive there are people who claim benefits fraudulently. There are also those who inadvertently claim benefits they are not entitled too as the system is so complicated, not aided by the decrease in benefit advisers. Seems even the DWP get confused about what they can do.

If the government is serious about cracking down on fraud and recovering money fraudulently claimed in this time of austerity then there are much more fertile areas they could target.