Unemployed Gay Man Claims He Was ‘Shamed’ For Wearing ‘Nobody Knows I’m Gay’ T-Shirt To JobCentre

March 18, 2015

I own a T-shirt that says ‘I’m not drunk, I have Cerebral Palsy.’ I’d like to think that no one would look twice if I wore it into a JobCentre, but now I’m starting to wonder…

An unemployed gay man has claimed he was discriminated against by staff at a job centre after he wore a ‘Nobody Knows I’m Gay’ T-shirt.

Shaun Clark, 28, claims staff were unhappy by the slogan and told him he should not wear it at the JobCentre Plus in Burnley, Lancashire.

‘I am proud to be gay and I don’t think there is anything wrong with the T-shirt,’ he told SWNS.

‘I have always worn a shirt and tie to an interview but I feel there is nothing wrong in wearing the T-shirt to the Jobcentre.

‘It is discrimination.’

Clark said the top was not ‘scruffy’ and he will continue to wear it at future appointments as an act of protest.

He has been on Job Seekers Allowance for the past four years.

A Department for Work and Pensions said staff advise job-seekers on the best possible ways to find work.

‘Our Jobcentre Plus advisers up and down the country work hard every day supporting people into jobs and treating everyone fairly,’ the spokesman said.

‘Staff in our Burnley branch encourage all job-seekers to dress in smart interview attire, as employers regularly attend and recruit directly from the Jobcentre.’

1. Jeffery Davies permalink
    March 18, 2015 5:59 am

Typical brown shirt reply

2. March 18, 2015 7:08 am

3. March 18, 2015 8:11 am

Imagine trying to justify such homophobic behaviour. Cretins.

4. March 18, 2015 2:46 pm

I have never in my life seen an employer in a JC+ office looking for potential employees and would tell them in the strongest language possible, every other word a swear word, If they said they could send you to an interview direct from the JC+ I would say “Well in all the fucking time I’ve been attending you haven’t arranged one fucking interview have you you bunch of fucking lying parasites?” Long gone are the days when you went to a job centre and they gave you a job to apply for that fitted around what you were looking for. They expect people to look at computerised job points that have the same jobs advertised week after week, some are there for months the JC+ never seem to wipe them from their records.

5. jaypot2012 permalink
    March 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Good on him for wearing the t-shirt – what are they going to do next, ban people from wearing any type of t-shirt and make them all wear interview clothes?
    People do not have the money to spend on clothes when you have bills to pay and food to eat as well as trying to keep warm. The last thing I would want to spend money that I don’t have would be for smart suits or skirts and tops – and how the hell are the JC+ staff going to stop you from wearing what you want? By sanctioning of course!

6. jaypot2012 permalink
    March 18, 2015 7:43 pm

Reblogged this on Jay's Journal and commented:
    The JC+ showing their homophobic side…

1. Unemployed gay man claims he was shamed for wearing “Nobody knows I’m gay" T Shirt to job centre - Dancing Giraffe
  2. Disabled Emmerdale Character Nicola King Makes Joke About Her Own Disability- And Fans Are Outraged | Same Difference
  3. Emmerdale’s James Moore Wrongly Pulled Over For Drink Driving | Same Difference