Mother Sanctioned- For Taking Daughter, 4, To The Toilet

June 2, 2015

A MUM had her benefits stopped because she was delayed by 10 minutes taking her four-year-old daughter to the toilet.

The woman, from Fife, was sanctioned by heartless Jobcentre officials and left without money for four weeks.

She needed handouts from food banks to feed her kids and couldn’t afford to pay her heating bills.

Children’s charity Barnardo’s revealed the mum’s plight but have kept her personal details private.

Her story will be told today to MSPs on Holyrood’s welfare committee.

Barnardo’s Mark Ballard said: “She was without money for four weeks and was unable to purchase fuel cards for her gas and electricity meters or feed her children.

“A number of other household bills went unpaid and she had to borrow money from friends and relatives to survive. This put her further into debt and damaged relationships with people who were previously supportive.”

The committee are investigating the impact of Tory welfare reforms on women. MSPs will hear from 12 charities and groups including Barnardo’s, the Scottish Refugee Council, Women’s Aid and the STUC.

About 20 per cent of women’s income comes from the benefits and tax credit system – compared with 10 per cent for men – according to a study by the Fawcett Society.

Since 2010, £26billion of cuts have been made to benefits, tax credits, pay and pensions. About 85 per cent of those cuts were taken from women’s incomes.

Pregnant women are also being penalised by the sanctions regime, according to charity One Parent Families Scotland.

Clare Adamson, an SNP member of the welfare committee, said: “There needs to be an immediate review of the UK Government’s conditionality and sanctions regime.

“The Department for Work and Pensions should not be allowed to impose any more unfair sanctions on vulnerable people. We need the power to put a stop to this relentless assault on vulnerable people and to design a new and better system.”

The UK Government have repeatedly denied claims that welfare advisers are encouraged to hit sanctions targets. The DWP said Jobseeker’s Allowance sanctions have fallen from 84,200 in 2013 to 55,864 last year.

A spokesman added: “Sanctions are only used as a last resort for the tiny minority who refuse to take up the support which is on offer.”

Scottish Tory welfare spokesman Alex Johnstone said: “Our welfare reform measures have worked in reducing poverty by getting people off benefits and back to work.”

1. June 2, 2015 1:43 pm

I was once 5 minutes late through the door to sign on and the person said your late but before she was able to say another word I replied “I’m f*cking here now aren’t I you cannot account for f*cking traffic hold ups” I was called to a desk that, at the time, few ever visited, he mentioned sanctioning and I mentioned burning the place down. I never got sanctioned, but on the way out the security guard stopped me and said about me swearing so I told him if he had a set he would have come over in the first instance and left in a body bag

2. June 2, 2015 1:54 pm

She missed her appointment, which is something you must never do. The DWP are looking to stop benefits & will use any excuse – don’t give them one!

• June 3, 2015 1:04 pm

Slap7…. What is the mother to do? Let the child pee on the floor of the jobcentre? Then be sanctioned for that? Maybe she should have let the child pee all over the advisor instead.

3. June 2, 2015 2:03 pm

4. June 2, 2015 2:12 pm

this is downright Naziism. Shocking. 😦

5. June 2, 2015 3:49 pm

maybe she should have allowed the child to pee on the floor in front of the person who sanctioned her.and i hardly think 55,864 sanctions is a tiny amount either.

6. June 2, 2015 7:48 pm

I saw a young woman outside lying in the road last week in lashing rain on a junction in broad daylight. I was waiting for my appointment at the Job Centre but I ran outside to help her and pulled her out of the road amidst the traffic, she was drugged up and could hardly speak and said someone had put something in her drink. Ambulance was called, got her into the back of a police car while the ambulance was on its way, went back into the Job Centre. The security guard had been watching all this commotion through the window and then said “You’ve already been in.” As I came through the door, after just watching me run outside and rescue the lady. Until I actually did something about it no one else bothered to step in or do anything for her, they just watched it going on. It was very sad, the lady said she wanted to come home with me but she needed to go to hospital and I had to go into the Job Centre to sign on as need the money otherwise I would probably have gone with her. I ignored the security guy and sat down and thought no way am I leaving as I was early for my appointment to begin with as it happened and by the time I’d gone in there the second time I looked at the clock and was still two minutes early so there was nothing the security guy could do about it as I wasn’t even one minute late. Was obviously a close call judging by this article. It’s a cold world we live in isn’t it?

7. June 3, 2015 10:35 am

Reblogged this on Citizens, not serfs.

8. dave knight permalink
    June 5, 2015 9:24 am

so this is what they call the big society! this disgusts me, how someone so heartless, can sanction someone for been late for an appointment. leaving an individual having to borrow to survive.
    many people that i deal with, have been effected, by sanctions, bedroom tax, council tax and i really find it so difficult at times, during our meetings i point them in the direction of the local food banks and local drop in centers.

9. June 11, 2015 6:29 pm

How low can they stoop? That is disgusting and in effect they condemned the little girl to starvation for wanting to go to the loo! They say they want get children out of poverty but they are CREATING a generation of children embittered by these experiences