A Very Unprofessional Benefits Assessor

May 5, 2016

Spotted at Benefit Resolutions on Facebook:

So…went for my fit for work assessment yesterday and came home in some sort of calm after the storm daze. Later on my son rings me to ask how it went and we both realised the assessor was very unprofessional.

1. He was a physiotherapist…
knows nothing about my conditions: copd, bronchiectasis or hypogammagloblinaemia…which begs the question…why did they tell me the wrong person was there twice and send me home when it’s obvious they could have sent the bloody CLEANER in…? (sarcasm).

2. He had things on the table to take blood pressure, examine my ears, my chest and pulse, and all he did was ask me to do the blow test once. He also asked my weight but didn’t weigh me.

3. He asked how long I can walk until out of breath, then no more related questions at all.

4. He asked about my typical day, which I began with, I get up, put my dressing gown on, take painkillers for my joints and chest then watch telly until they work. To which he said, you watch a lot of telly, then moved on to different questions…thus definitely NOT finding out about my typical day, just a couple of hours.

5. He did not ask about my pain that day.

6. He was coughing without covering his mouth, and yawning the whole time.

7. and this is the corker…
When he asked me to do things like lifting my arms up and gripping his fingers…he hopped on one leg the whole time.
When I asked, do I have to do that? He replied, no, I’m doing it because I want to. Either he’s nuts, or he was trying to make me do it so he could automatically fail me.

8. When we finished I tried to ask a question and he pushed me out of the door, saying, I’m dying for the toilet.

Does anyone agree that if I have to appeal this guy will be easily discredited?

I wish I could say it was unbelievable.

1. May 5, 2016 12:02 pm

Reblogged this on Christopher John Ball.

2. Carole permalink
    May 5, 2016 1:36 pm

Appeal. I am at present undergoing a MR ( Mandatory Reconsideration)
    My needs have not changed , but according to the DWP? I did not fit
    certain descriptors. The assessor was a nice chap, but he wasnt a doctor,
    a point I raised with the DWP ( I am or rather have put in at least one
    offiial complaint ) , the answer was he is a ” Healthcare proffessional”.
    Horsefeathers. If for example the guy was a paramedic ? Then his area
    of expertese is triage , not deciding if boxes are checked. Theres a lot of
    things wrong with these tests, and the whole thing will implode. As I
    said earlier – please appeal. This mans behaviour is odd and certainly not
    what you should have experienced.

3. May 5, 2016 4:02 pm

4. May 5, 2016 7:44 pm

Weird! Are you sure it wasn’t someone with mental health problems because nothing your describe people very near to the edge of a breakdown – seriously.

5. May 17, 2016 11:43 am

Reblogged this on campertess.

6. Justin Greenwood permalink
    May 31, 2016 11:01 am

I would report them to the company that assessed you ie atos, capita, maximus for unprofessional misconduct, I would ask them as the employer and therefore who should know his qualifications as to what are there qualifications in relating to what he is assessing you for, if your not happy then start a mandatory reconsideration, usually means going to tribunal, which can be distressing, if this starts to worsen your condition, see your doctor, get it all notariesed, lastly if you feel that the attention you should have received was not fit for purpose then complaint to there professional body, this will probably be the hcpc, do a search for them, type in the name of the person and the profession then follow the complaints guidelines, the more of these unsafe health care professionals that are reported for regulatory misconduct the better, then perhaps the government and these companies that employ them will get the hint that there is something seriously wrong when there either getting supervision orders, struck of or suspended following a tribunal

hope this helps

7. SusieQ permalink
    May 31, 2016 11:08 am

How awful😒 What a disgusting way to treat people.This highlights the terrible state our country has become under the Tory government.Very unprofessional indeed.My heart goes out to anyone in this awful state of affairs. Who on earth employs these people???😠

8. Debbie permalink
    May 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Thank you for sharing my assessment horror story with others. I have found out the assessor, Andre Tulip was recently a gym trainer/physio, and more than likely knows nothing about my conditions, which are: hypogammaglobulinaemia (an immune deficiency I have had since birth), bronchiectasis and copd. I have written to my local mp and am going to Citizen’s Advice tomorrow and taking my son with me. I am going to ask about an official complaint against him and ask them to request a mandatory reconsideration.

This has caused me so much distress I am now on Prozac as my daily mood has plummeted, leaving me with a loss of hope and a lethargy and loss of appetite that is very dangerous (I am only 7 stone after three bouts of pneumonia and years of chest infections). My son is doing everything for me at the moment and trying to spur me on, and I feel like I am on remote control. I have had to stop all my standing orders while waiting for a decision on a new ESA claim for depression and I have to go to CAB about an appeal. I’m also going to attempt to put a complaint in about the assessor, Andre Tulip, but a friend told me he lied about her assessment too and at the appeal he told the judges she was lying and she failed the appeal. I am terrified. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I tried to claim the care component on top of my mobility DLA and they told me I can’t and are sending me forms for PIP, which is also scaring me as now I think I’m going to lose my DLA and be refused PIP too.

I don’t know if my energy supplier and my landlord will wait for this to be resolved or I’m going to end up in a bedsit or worse. I am so tired of fighting.

• Justin Greenwood permalink
      May 31, 2016 2:12 pm

I just have to ask was this a pip assessment rather than a esa assessment

I am not sure who he works for in the first instance( i suspect atos) i would write to them stating your observations during the medical, ie standing on one leg, constantly yawning, unnattentiveness. I would also raise points about his qualification to assess, you rightly stated that he was a physiotherapist, your conditions which i know nothing about, took me five minutes to check on the internet and i have drawn the same conclusion as you, that he may not have the correct qualifications to the role and five weeks in the dwp training centre covering technical questions like making a cup of coffee or going to the shops is not a indicator of this, complaining to whoever the provider is maximus( if esa assesment) atos(if pip assessment) i suspect will possibly get you a investigation and a letter of apology and they may contact the dwp to change the decision, however the letter means nothing as there getting a so called re-instruction amounts to your a naughty boy go stand in the corner and then they do it again, only in serious cases does things happen or if it is publicity highlighted (they hate publicity) looking at this from my point of view there is enough to contact the regulatory body:address is below

Below is the link to his regulatory body with his details

they would probably be able top advise you if he has the criteria to assess you for lung related conditions and if you felt there is a case contact CAB with a view to starting a fitness to work procedure, this can lead to a supervision order, a suspension order or a striking of order, you also stated your taking prozac for mood swings etc since this, in part of your complaint you can use safeguarding of vunerable adult as this shows that your condition has worsened, again talk to CAB about this, retrospect, make sure that your doctor has all this down in your med records, as your condition has worsened there is duty of care and so-on.

I do hope this is of some help, contact cab they have experienced people that deal with this, retrospect as well as telling your mp, you might also raise this with crabb the dwp new boy, the more he knows about the indequacies of these health care proffessionals the better, perhasp one day they wake up from fantasy land and realise there gettign things so wrong that it will cost them money properly sometime

Justin Greenwood

9. Debbie permalink
    May 31, 2016 3:36 pm

Justin, as I said in my original post it was an ESA assessment, I had to appeal my previous one and won a few years ago. I’m going to CAB tomorrow. Thank you for your input.

10. Marika Rebicsek permalink
    June 1, 2016 1:04 pm

a lot of good advice here, I’m going to print this out. Will help others. Debbie, I got bronchiectasis too and it drives me nuts. I work part time so at least that keeps ESA off my back but I’m dreading the PIP forms

1. A Very Unprofessional Benefits Assessor | Same Difference | Jay's Journal

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )