Skip to content

Disabled Man Faces 12 Month Wait For A Bath After Hoist Removed On Health And Safety Grounds

June 6, 2016

DISABLED Kevin McKie has not been able to have a bath in seven weeks – after a hoist he had used for 18 years was removed for health and safety reasons.

The 46-year-old, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, relied on the hoist and help from care workers to get into his bath.

But Stoke-on-Trent City Council has removed it after a care worker noticed Kevin’s feet were catching on a radiator and an occupational therapist (OT) deemed that it was unsafe.

The OT recommended a wet room be installed in Kevin’s Bradeley bungalow – but he has been told this could take up to 12 months.

  This means Kevin is unable to use the bath, and has instead had to undergo strip washes from his care workers.

Kevin and his family are unhappy at this situation and believe it could have been handled better by the council.

Kevin, of Edward Davies Road, said: “I’m just so hacked off about this now. I have great care workers, so if they think there’s a health and safety problem that’s fair enough.

“But when the OT told me it could take 12 months for the wet room to be installed I couldn’t believe it. I asked him if that meant I’d have to wait a year to have a bath.

“I’m normally quite a happy person but this has been a really difficult situation. This is about my personal hygiene.”

The council has told Kevin he will be able to access bathroom facilities at Park View Day Centre, in Moorland Road, but he is waiting for this to be organised.

Kevin’s dad Tom McKie does not think the council had to take out the hoist in the first place.

The 73-year-old, who lives in Sheffield, said: “Kevin had been using this hoist for 18 years and there had never been any problems. There was never any marks on his feet. He was never injured. They just didn’t need to do this.

“If they had to install a wet room, why couldn’t they just leave the hoist there until they did that?”

Councillor Melanie Baddeley, Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s cabinet support member for social care, said: “We are working with Mr McKie and his family to ensure he continues to receive the best possible care. The health and safety of our residents is our number one priority and we are doing everything we can to resolve this as quickly as possible.”

Last year The Sentinel reported that a council task force had called for a time limit for adaptations to disabled people’s homes after it found it was taking up to 14 months for occupational therapist assessments.

One Comment leave one →
  1. June 7, 2016 4:34 pm

    I had forgotten all about my wet-room when they contacted me after 15 months after saying they would put one in and the date they would start the installation. I was struggling to get over the side of a bath and was down to one shower a week, sometimes one every other week.

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: