PIP Turned Down- Because Claimant Carried A Handbag

August 24, 2016

When we shared this post on Facebook,  we received this comment:

The mind boggles. One of the reasons I got turned down was that I carried a handbag And can read a newspaper. Anyone going for assessment don’t carry a bag and if you can walk go extremely slowly and make the assessor wait and whatever you do. Do not move the chair in the room. Sit on it wherever it is placed and if need moving ask the assessor to do it. These were some of the points they made for refusing.

We’re scared, readers, very scared.

1. Patricia White permalink
    August 24, 2016 2:48 pm

One of mine was having a scarf wrapped round my neck, I had it draped as I always do, and it’s a cotton one to keep my neck from drafts as I get a lot of neck pain. Apparently this is not allowed, and I drove once in 3 weeks 200m down to my Doctors, my car has minimal mileage, it’s an ornament

2. Julie Owen permalink
    August 24, 2016 3:19 pm

This reminds me of those Monty Python sketches from the 1970’s!

3. August 24, 2016 6:46 pm

ok. so can someone tell me this………… what does someone in my position do? i have to carry my asthma sprays if im going to be out later than 5.30pm because i need to take them around that time, plus need ventolyn with me at all times, i need to carry my pill box with painkillers in it. i need to carry a small first aid kit with mepore and elastoplasts in it because of the number of times ive caught my arms/hands etc on sharp objects whilst out. a small bottle of drink to take pills with. my blood sugar testing kit if im going to be out over a meal time. my reading specs, keys,a few sweets in case i go hypo.purse. i could go on. where exactly are we supposed to put these things and the older one gets the more things go wrong medically which mean carrying something else with you. one relative of mine has to carry a spacer for use with her asthma sprays. its getting ridsiculous.

4. Arthur Woosey permalink
    August 24, 2016 9:22 pm

It’s not about helping you, hugs mum. It’s about beating you down and cutting a third off the DWP budget. The fact that you might have paid NI all your working life, and now need to claim is immaterial. They. Just. Don’t. Care.

• August 24, 2016 9:59 pm

aye i know. lets hope something happens soon to turn it all around.

5. Judith Owen permalink
    August 25, 2016 12:16 am

I’ve just lost my PIP entitlement ….. for going to London to see Les Miserables……. for my 60th birthday. In November I contacted them to let them know that M circumstances had changedas I was in hospital. Some moron riding his bike on the pavement sent me flying leaving me lying there with a fractured hip. Ten days before this happened my daughter had purchased the tickets to go and see the show. Fast forward to July …… this is how long it took them to come to do my home assessment. The woman came 2 days after my London trip and on seeing my birthday cards asked if I had had a nice birthday. I replied that I had been to see Les Miserables something I had dreamt of but never expected to do. When I got my decision letter it stated that it was noted I enjoyed going on the tube and to the theatre. Apparently I also planned my birthday treat ….. which was news to me. I am appealing the decision …… but whatever you do if your assessment falls so close to your birthday remember to tell them it was the most miserable birthday ever.

• August 25, 2016 6:00 am

forget asessments mandatory reconsideration notices ,,GO TO TRIBUNAL ONLY CHANCE TO BE HEARD BY A DOCTOR AND JUDGE ,i did i won 27th june from 6 to 21 POINTS AND 12 MONTHS SUPPORT GROUP ON ESA ,,PIP TRIBUNAL NEXT ,,ASESSED AT 6 POINTS IN JAN 2016,,

6. josephine rastal permalink
    August 25, 2016 10:26 am

I got my son to undo my drinks bottle so I could undo it in the assessment. as I cant open bottles. do to my hands. because I undone the already lose bottle and had a drink I did not get pip. x

7. Elizabeth permalink
    August 25, 2016 11:43 am

My son had to go to ATOS or something similar, I’m old I forget, he had an assessment. They put it off twice and we had to reschedule. I had to make appointments without knowing my work schedule and they waited until we had sat for half an hour to be told they were busy, he had an assessment and got the sickness benefit to which he was entitled but it was hard going. Like getting blood out of a stone. The morons that carry out these assessments are jumped up pen pushers. They have cameras in the interview rooms and he left us for ten minutes, I expect listening and watching, we both didn’t speak. Good luck anyone trying to get what you’re entitled to.

1. #PIP Turned Down- Because Claimant Carried A Handbag | Same Difference | sdbast
  2. The DWP Expect You To Be An ‘Immobile Smelly Potato’ | Same Difference
  3. Benefit Assessment Failed- For Having A Firm Handshake | Same Difference

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )