IB To ESA Transfer Failure Revealed In Latest Stats

September 17, 2015

With many thanks to Benefits And Work.

The number of people in receipt of employment and support allowance (ESA) or incapacity benefit (IB) is set to fall according to the DWP’s early estimates for July 2015, released today. But the fall is tiny and once again raises doubts about the entire IB to ESA transfer process.

According to the latest figures, the number of people in receipt of ESA/IB has fallen from 2,525,000 to 2,515,000 between June and July 2015, after three months when numbers had remained the same.

However, the fall is well under 1% of the total number of claimants.

Moreover, with the transfer of incapacity benefit claimants to ESA nearing its long drawn out end, it is clear that it has been a massive failure in terms of cutting claimant numbers.

Migration began with pilots in October 2010, but didn’t get going properly until 2011. In May 2011 there were 2,570,220 ESA/IB claimant.

So, to date, the claimant count has fallen by less than 2% over the course of almost the entire ESA to IB transfer. And, in reality, it’s entirely possible that numbers would have dropped by at least that amount without any intervention by the government.

So, the real question is: how many lives has such a paltry cut in claimant numbers cost?

1. September 17, 2015 2:16 am

Reblogged this on perfectlyfadeddelusions.

2. Bookworm permalink
    September 17, 2015 8:00 am

One is led to believe then that gps, consultants and medical tests were correct and claimants were sick as stated. What a waste of lives.

3. September 17, 2015 11:43 am

My ESA72 stated that I would be contacted again on or after 25th July, I’m still waiting but I believe there is up to 1 years delay for ESA assessments. Every day I listen for the post and the dogs barking at the mail man. I believe they will just send me an appointment without the ESA50 having to be filled in. When they do contact me I intend to give them 48 hours notice that I want it recorded as quoted here https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/recording_of_assessment_with_max#incoming-626900
    It clearly states that a minimum of 48 hours notice should be given for notice to have an ESA assessment recorded, and that is about all the time I am going to give them.

• September 17, 2015 11:58 am

When the time comes:Insist on them sending you a new ESA50 to complete.Conditions often change & the use of an ESA50 that might be over 2 yrs old,is not acceptable..All failing,download one & take with you..Use the system?

4. September 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Well as I ike many people was recieving permanent IB when it transferred to esa there was a 3 month maximum placed on to the receipt, after which the government seems to think withholding all financial help will cure you of your condition and that you should no longer get any help. So when I have to sell my fully paid for home paid for by hard work sometime in the next 6 months because I will have run out of my savings where will I be able to live?

• September 18, 2015 11:58 am

Whatever you do Barry, do not sell your home or you’ll be in a worse situation further down the line.

Firstly, have they removed benefit from you because they say that you’re not sick, or is it because your partner is working? If it’s the former, then join Benefits and Work because they have great success with the advice that they give; it’s well worth the money.

It is also possible to obtain a variety of grants to pay utility bills, and buy any urgent things that you might need for the house. Just put your postcode into this search page to find orgs that give the grants: http://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/ and https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Energy-schemes/Help-from-your-energy-company#guide-content/.This will ensure that at least your utilities are paid once you run out of money. Obviously, you’ll need to use food banks as well. If you were formally given help towards your Council Tax (my area don’t charge disabled people), then apply to your council’s Discretionary Grants to pay your Council Tax. It’s best to go through Citizens advice when applying for utility grants.

Whatever you do, do not give up and do not sell your house! If you have no support and don’t feel confident in finding things out, then by all means contact me on my website. Just leave a comment on any article, also mention that I said to contact me, and then I’ll email you. There is a lot of help out there Barry, so don’t suffer alone.

Sasson Hann