Bus Driver To Woman In Wheelchair: For F*** Sake Can’t You Get The Next One?

February 10, 2016

A bus driver left a disabled woman in tears after allegedly shouting and swearing at her boyfriend when he asked for the ramp to be lowered to help her get on board.

Robert Greenwood, the partner of wheelchair-bound Karen McDonald, claimed that the 289 driver in Croydon, South, London, told them: ‘For f**** sake, can’t you get the next one?’

Mr Greenwood, 49, said that he had told the driver he was going to report him, before he got out of his booth and screamed at the couple.

The father-of-two said: ‘My partner was discriminated against just because of her disability. We travel on buses all the time and the staff are usually fantastic with us – we’ve never experienced anything like this before.

‘When I asked for the ramp to be lowered for me to wheel her on, he muttered “for f***’s sake, can’t you get the next one?”

‘Once we were in our seats, I went up to the driver’s booth and told him “I’m not happy with you, and I want your badge number so I can report you”.

‘He then pulled the bus over, got out of his seat and became aggressive with me – he was in a rage. He was extremely intimidating and my partner was shaken up by this.’

Mr Greenwood, who was a bus driver himself for 12 years before becoming a full-time carer for Miss McDonald, said they were originally taking the bus to an Ikea store – but needed to get the same one back to get home.

However, the couple were so fearful of coming face-to-face with the same driver that they took a taxi home – which cost them more than £30.

Mr Greenwood, who also cares for his autistic son, added: ‘It was probably him knowing that I was a former bus driver which gave him the hump. Even his driving showed that he was in a temper.

Even his driving showed that he was in a temper. We were so glad to get off the bus and Karen was crying
Robert Greenwood

‘We were so glad to get off the bus and Karen was crying. We would usually get the 289 back to Croydon but got a cab home instead because we didn’t want to get on the same bus with the same driver. It cost us £32.

‘My wife suffers from fibromyalgia and she has fractures in her spine, as well. She can barely walk so why couldn’t he just press a button to accommodate her like a normal person would?’

Tony Akers, Transport for London’s head of bus operations, said: ‘We are concerned to hear of this incident and are investigating it with Arriva, the operator of the 289 bus route. We expect the highest standard of public service from bus drivers.’

1. February 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Reblogged this on campertess.

2. February 10, 2016 4:50 pm

Reblogged this on 61chrissterry.

3. February 10, 2016 5:00 pm

Reblogged this on disabledsingleparent.

4. February 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Tweeted @melissacade68

5. February 10, 2016 5:11 pm

Once again, this shows that Society is still dismissive and ignorant of Disability In Society. Where would this driver get his attitude towards disability if it was not something that he lived and breathed within Society. It amazes me just how many times disability discrimination is reported to Transport for London, yet they still offer new contracts to the same Bus Operating Companies and the Disability Community has no voice in the selection of awarding of Bus Operation Contracts. I face disability discrimination daily, and will face this on buses that I use every day from either the driver or passengers refusing to think about what a wheelchair user requires when getting on and off a bus, especially where there are no doors that open out giving direct access to the accessible bay on the bus!

6. February 10, 2016 6:34 pm

I’m disgusted that things like this are happening daily for the disabled, me being one of them.
    To think that people still see us as a hindrance makes my blood boil.

1. Bus Driver To Woman In Wheelchair: For F*** Sake Can’t You Get The Next One? | Same Difference | Jay's Journal

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )